First planted tank attempt - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First planted tank attempt

Alright so i got this 20 gallon just sitting around and i thinks its time i use it. I am a complete noob at this whole planted stuff so i need some help. Its a standard 20 gallon so would 40-50 watts of light be fine? Are biowheel filters a bad choice and why? its a penguin 150. I plan on growing some HC i think its called and some amazon sword,vallisnera, horn wort, money wort,java fern and moss??????? Do these go well? I plan on having flourite as a substrate and will be using Co2. Any suggestions to make this better or what u guys think. thanks any help is appreciated.

edit* do i need a co2 regulator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
How are you planning on using CO2?

Pressurized systems need regulators.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2030065&Ne=2

plan on using something like that? is there any way around the regulator or the pressurized system? how about those flourish tabs?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
for a 20 gallon Excel is sutable also a Diy co2 reactor could be sufficent.

happy fishing

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

is the link i posted above a pressurized system? or are those the ones with huge canisters that look like helium tanks. if i make a DIY co 2 do i need a regulator. sry for all the questions. im just not to knowledgeable in this area
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:44 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chotaadmi View Post
is the link i posted above a pressurized system? or are those the ones with huge canisters that look like helium tanks. if i make a DIY co 2 do i need a regulator. sry for all the questions. im just not to knowledgeable in this area
No, the link is a Yeast CO2 system. Much like all the DIY CO2 systems you'll see mentioned(No regulator needed for any DIY CO2). Compressed are the canisters like the helium tanks, however, I believe the big helium tanks you'll see are like 50lbs cyclinders.

Nelson
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
The Hagen kit is all you need. Includes everything to get you started and I believe gives you three batches, so it should last you about 3 months or so. (Each batch last about 1 month). Follow directions and its self explanatory.

Your plant list looks fine. Lots of good beginner plants there. One suggestion would be to hold off on the HC for a while, this will give you the oppurtunity to play around and move the plants to get comfortable with how they all grow and the speed of how some of those will grow. Once the HC is in there as your foreground, you will really limit yourself to where you can move things. JMO though...do what you want.

As far as lighting...this is really dictated by $$$$. What are you looking to spend?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

I have a 40W Flourescent light already. I might spend up to $50 if needed for lighting.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
40 watt standard fixture?? Might be enough to start off with. you can always add more light later. Just make sure the bulb has an acceptable K rating...around 6500 kelvin.

Or...if you want to spend a bit more that 50 bucks...you can get a 55 Watt AH-supply retrofit kit. really nice reflector and that will definetly give you more than enough light. You can retrofit these right into your existing fixture.

www.ahsupply.com

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode