CO2 or not? Very confused! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question CO2 or not? Very confused!

I have a 75g tank that has two Coralife freshwater lights. Each light is 130watts. However I only run both lights for 5 hours. I am confused about if I need a pressurized Co2 set-up. If so can I use the ones that take the paintball canisters? Like http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113779

Please help. I also won't think I need much more than 1bps since the lights are only on together for that short of a time. I have 2 Rena XP3 filters, how do I go about hooking up the Co2 directly to them?
Or should I use a diffuser if I need it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
im no expert but im pretty sure you will want to go with more then a paintball tank on a 75g tank. just my two cents though

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I've been doing research on CO2 recently, and paintball tanks are not the way to go. Way more expensive in the not-so-long run.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
it would cost you about the same amount of money for a traditional regulator and co2 canister as the little paintball thing, but the traditional type will last you *much* longer and cost you less to refill. You have 75 gallons, that paintball thing is designed for desktop tanks. People really overestimate how much light they need to keep most plants happy, especially considering you need less the bigger the tank gets. Your tank is not going to do well unless you add some form of co2 to it and a traditional regulator/canister is going to be the most economical compared to the paintball thingie or Excel. You could also try DIY CO2, but you'll need several bottles of it going at once for such a big tank and you risk algae breakouts from the fluctuating co2 levels. Plus, it's a PITA at that point.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode