Cutting Drift Wood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cutting Drift Wood

Well it's actually some type of African tree root, not driftwood.

It's been in my tank for 1.5 years and I'm thinking of cutting into 2. The wood is really cool. It has lots of holes (think caves) and has Java moss and ferns as well as some type of lily growing on it.

My thought would to have my saw ready - pull the wood out and put in a bucket to transport out side - cut it and put it back right back in.

I have two concerns:

1- If any shrimp are living in there, will they survive the air (it will stay very wet I'm sure)?

2 - Will the fresh cut release tannins, etc?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
1. i'm not sure, but take out as many shrimps as possible. probably you need to flush them out with running water. then cut them as fast as possible

2. yes it will release some tannin (again), i've cut driftwood that have been underwater for a long time, soak it and the water is turning dark again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Use a fine-toothed saw. A band saw, if possible. Hack saws also work well. Fine teeth leave a cleaner edge, and seem to pass through the wood more smoothly - especially if the wood is water-logged.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
1-Yes shrimp will not instantaneously die if out of water. Not sure how long they can last, though. I've transported shrimp from one tank to another with them just stuck against scissors. I've also done water changes where the water level dropped below a certain area where shrimp were trapped and they lasted long enough for the refill. If you can cut it in a couple of minutes I think you should be fine. Only thing to worry about is the shrimp will try and can definitely manage to jump off even when just a little wet and plastered against your wood.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Think about what You are doing if You plan on using any type of electric saw. Electricity and water don't mix.....

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Naja, most electric saws are double insulated (no ground plug) and are used to being around running water when cooling masonry tile and stone during hot cutting. They also have guards to prevent any wet cutting debris from getting into the air intake vents of the saw motor. I have actually dropped a running 110v electric fan into my tank, the fish lived, and the fan actually kept running under water until I scrambled to unplug it. so I would not worry all that much about cutting wet wood with any standard saw.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I understand what You are saying. But, Why didn't You just stick Your hand in the tank to get the fan out? Because it just really isn't a smart idea. We have no idea what kind of saw this person may use--even whether its electric or not. Even with the safe guards--its really just a Good idea to be aware of working with electric and water.

The masonry saw that You refer to is designed to be used around water. What about my old skill saw......?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Naja, we could debate this ad nauseum, and you'd be right that under specific circumstances water and electricity are dangerous, but people who get injured are the exception not the rule. I've worked thigh deep in flooded basements where the water level was above the wall outlets and the power was still on (breakers had not tripped) with no problems at all. being the short along 20amps of 110volts might give you a nasty scare, but it's not going to electrocute anybody. I always laugh when I see in the movies someone killing themselves by dropping a blow dryer the the bathtub - as that simply won't electrocute anyone unless they are also tied up to the plumbing thus becoming part of the electrical ground, and even then the electric panel breaker will trip from the ground fault long before the person dies. however if you want to play around a 100amp 220volt two phase residential service main, I'd agree that those are really scary; so when you see a tree fall on your electric main and the cable is skipping around throwing sparks, I would not get anywhere near that especially while the ground is still wet...

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
Naja, we could debate this ad nauseum,
No, not really. I'm not interested in debating all of that. The simple point is that neither one of us has any idea what-so-ever what kind of saw (tool) this person may use. It may be brand new and double insulated, yadda, yadda, yadda. Or, it may be 45 yrs old and passed down from their Grandfather. You don't know. Neither do I. Suggesting to people whose qualifications You have no idea about, whose tools that You have no idea about--that working around electric and water is what? Safe? Ok? Don't worry about it? Just have no concern? You think that there could be a "Debate"?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
How about using an Axe

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's over and I'm safe!

Wow, go away for a half day and look at all the fuss over my safety. Thanks.
I used a "back saw" (I think that's what it's called) the kind you use w/ a miter box.
That root is HARD! But after 1.5 years, it's a nice change.

Thanks again,

"this person"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode