Looking for recommendations for a small bedroom and budget - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for recommendations for a small bedroom and budget

Hey guys, I have been browsing and asking questions here on the forum regarding starting out etc. Now I have pulled the plug and gave myself a ~$150/€100. I am from the Netherlands. I don't know whether to go for an all-in-one or buy is separately.

Our house has a wooden foundation and we are above 2 more apartments. So anything heavy is out of the question. My room is small and I have two options to put the tank. Here are the pictures of those two options

1) my desk

2) my dresser next to my bed

I will be moving to Florida next year december and want to use this time to get familiar with the hobby and have a good start when I arrive in Florida. There I will buy a big tank. So right now I want to get familiar the hobby and thats what this tank is for. So I am looking for recommendations within the budget and available in Europe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Depends on what style you want. There's those that want the image of a clean cut tank art piece, and those that want a nice looking tank, and dont care if equipment shows. Do you like deep looking tank, or long thin tanks?

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:54 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Wow Netherlands to Florida will be an almost nightmarish culture shock lol.

I think a nice 10,12 or 20g (38l, 45l 75l respectively) setup would be perfect in either location. In the states if you shop for used parts and pieces you could get a full setup for under $150. Not sure how that would translate to the Netherlands though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Why would anyone in their right mind move to Florida?

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Why would anyone in their right mind move to Florida?
My fiancee lives there so would be weird staying here in the Netherlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
Wow Netherlands to Florida will be an almost nightmarish culture shock lol.

I think a nice 10,12 or 20g (38l, 45l 75l respectively) setup would be perfect in either location. In the states if you shop for used parts and pieces you could get a full setup for under $150. Not sure how that would translate to the Netherlands though.
The tank in the States will be bigger than that. This tank will function as a "practice, get to know the hobby tank". The $150 translates to about 110-120 euro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
Depends on what style you want. There's those that want the image of a clean cut tank art piece, and those that want a nice looking tank, and dont care if equipment shows. Do you like deep looking tank, or long thin tanks?
For this tank I dont care if I can see parts. I want to get familiar with the way things behave, rhythms, maintenance etc. I like the long looking tanks, but I have yet to find a store that sells them here in the Netherlands or in Europe for that matter.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What part of FLA Steelen?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
What part of FLA Steelen?
Southwest (Fort Myers/Cape Coral area).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My grandparents lived down there. Use to love it.. Haven't gone back in years.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aubzilla
Do you have a Hornbach store in your area? They have some pretty awesome rimless tanks here in southern Germany. I'm not sure on the brand but all the silicon lines are nice and clean looking.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Oxl
Planted Member

Can't beat the price of a 10 gallon starter kit with hood($30), just replace the two bulbs with 13w 6500k spiral fluorescents($7) and replace the filter with an Aquaclear 30($32) with extra foam inserts to use instead of the carbon and stones($8) and a Fluval EDGE Pre-Filter Sponge($3) for the intake. Now all you need are a bag of small natural stones ($5), plants, and fish. Seachem prime, flourish, and flourish excel ($10/per) would be a good idea as well. At some point you might want to add an Eheim 2211 to allow you to overstock and to become familiar with canister filter types.

Here's the ten gallon tank style I'm speaking of, can be found at Walmart, Petsmart and many other places for $29.99:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=12302643
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubzilla View Post
Do you have a Hornbach store in your area? They have some pretty awesome rimless tanks here in southern Germany. I'm not sure on the brand but all the silicon lines are nice and clean looking.
Oh really Hornbach sells tanks? Yeah we have one here in Netherlands close to my house. I have to look at my stepdad with a pretty face but yea I can have a look over there. Thanks man! Do you know if they have more than just tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxl View Post
Can't beat the price of a 10 gallon starter kit with hood($30), just replace the two bulbs with 13w 6500k spiral fluorescents($7) and replace the filter with an Aquaclear 30($32) with extra foam inserts to use instead of the carbon and stones($8) and a Fluval EDGE Pre-Filter Sponge($3) for the intake. Now all you need are a bag of small natural stones ($5), plants, and fish. Seachem prime, flourish, and flourish excel ($10/per) would be a good idea as well. At some point you might want to add an Eheim 2211 to allow you to overstock and to become familiar with canister filter types.

Here's the ten gallon tank style I'm speaking of, can be found at Walmart, Petsmart and many other places for $29.99:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=12302643
Thanks. I think we have a similar tank at a petstore here.

I finally found a suitable tank for my room. All I need now is an affordable light. As here in the netherlands I have yet to find a good solution for the tank. Anyone can recommend me something?

Last edited by Steelen; 12-10-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Found a suitable tank. 45L/14G

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode