ROAK Conundrum - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
ROAK Conundrum

I have a bunch of plants that I would like to RAOK.

I have two problems that make me wonder if it would be worth it for the recipient.

1) The tank they would be coming from has an issue with cyanobacteria and maybe bba (thought I think the black burn on the leaves was more of a nutrition issue).
2) It is flippin' cold in MO and I'm not sure how the plants would fare.

The plants would be easy plants: hygro green, hygro broad, r.rotundifolia, maybe a vesuvius sword plantlet or two. The next warm-aka not freezing-day is Saturday with a whopping high of 46 degrees the low is below freezing.

Would the plants survive? What would you do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can't say much for the cold, but you could give the plants a bleach/h2o2 dip. Any algae left would not get enough light during transportation.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Inform the recipient and let them deal with the bleach dip. This time of year a heat pack is a necessity, so charge a minimal amount for the shipping and see if anyone bites.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have been researching shipping plants during cold weather. From what I have discovered it seems heat packs actually are a bad idea. Lots of posts found on heat packs cooking plants. From what I find that works, it is suggested lining box with styrofoam sheets, wrap plants in several layers of newpaper, and adding styrofoam peanuts. It was also suggested having package labeled "hold for pickup at post office" so the package isn't left out in the cold for long periods. I haven't tried that yet but I have a package of plants coming this wee and we have freezing rain. I will let you know how they arrive and how they were packaged. I would also like to say that I wouldn't mind being a test subject and paying for shipping to me.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Something that sounds really weird at first seemed to work really well for my last received shipping. Since sheets of foam are somewhat awkward to cut and fit and may get knocked out of position, the shipper used fiberglass. It was not the terrible itchy stuff I thought but a type that was great. The shipment was fish but for plants, the soft stuff would seem to have a real advantage as it wraps around things much easier than cutting/fitting solid. Just a matter of stuffing more in until the box is full without crushing the plants?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The shipper probably used patching fiberglass. It comes in sheets of long fibers and you pull out what you need. It still gets into your skin though. Fiberglass is just that, glass. Very easy to get into the skin and very itchy. It is also not very cost effective unless you buy in large quantities. Styrofoam and cardboard are very good insulators. That is why homes people like cardboard boxes and stuff their cloths with newspaper. Sad I know.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 09:10 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I got some fish shipped to me and used the "hold at post office" option which worked well. It was good I was paying attention to the tracking because the post office didn't have my phone number to call me and let me know the box had arrived. Other than that it worked great.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for all of the great tips! I will try to hunt down some styrofoam, thelub even has some tips on that I see, and see if there is interest. Wildroseofky what part of Ky are you from?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am from the Eastern Part. Right on the border with WV. Very small town.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ah gotcha. If It was Louisville I was going to send you some plants via my sister. Oh well.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Heat is needed in most areas now. Beyond that, post a ROAK. As long as you're clear about algae you're being honest. The price can't be beat! If I needed any of those plants, the algae wouldn't deter me a bit.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am going to have to buy another tank as it is. LOL I keep getting new plants and I am running out of room. I was hoping that I would be satisfied with three tanks but I keep finding new plants I want to try.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I received my plants today. They sat outside for several hours in low 40 degree weather. They were in plastic bags wrapped in a lot of newspaper in a priority mail medium size box. No insulation other than the newspaper. They were really cold but seem to be all right. I got Wisteria, Camboba, dwarf baby tears, and banana plants. Maybe those plants are just tough. I think I would have preferred more insulation.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I had many plants shipped to me last winter without any problems. Majority did not have heat packs. They should be fine as long as they are not left outside. All of my mail is held at the PO and not the door.

My Most Unimaginative Tank on Plantedtank >

My Hens and Chicks Plants >

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode