Cycling timeframe? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cycling timeframe?

Last Thursday, 7-19, I set up a 7 gallon bow planted tank. Added some java fern that day. Began a cycle with a bit of fish food. The next day, 7-20 I added a piece of Shrimp as well as a few other plants. Some Anacharis, a fern and some other non-aquatic plants. (Don't get me started, petco sells them as aquatic, Sorry)

Today: Parameters = Amonia: 0, PH: 7.2, Nitrites: 0, Nitrate: 10.

Can that be? Seeks a bit to quick to call it Cycled. New to this planted tank thing though. Any insight here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
do you have fish in there? whats a bit of shrimp??? like food shrimp?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 06:12 PM

Did you dump water from a different tank or from petco in there?

How old is your water testing strips, bottles?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No fish present just yet. Wanted to avoid putting them through an exposure to Ammonia.

Just regular old shrimp that you buy at the grocery store. Frozen but thawed. Fishless cycle method essentially. The shrimp decomposes releasing Amonia then the process has begun.

I have heard that plants help speed up the process. Although, that was very fast. My testing kits are all about 2 years old other than the PH kit. I will try new ones and see if a different reading is present.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
can you post a pic of the tank? My guess is that you have enough plants that suck up the ammonia, thus no nitrites are formed, and the nitrates could either be from tap water or inaccurate test kits....but that's just a wild guess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=IMG_5335.jpg

Last edited by MyMonkey; 07-23-2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Missed link.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
Do you have another tank or know someone with another tank? The fastest way to cycle that baby is to just take some filter media from an old tank and stick it in your filter. I have never heard of putting a raw shrimp in a tank to cycle it....sounds like it would lead to all sorts of nasties in the water.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
proly the nitrate is from your tap, the type of plants you have aren't the super-great nutrient eating type like watersprite or hygrophila. Also, the non-aquatics are just going to rot in there until you take them out. If you have another tank or you have access to a friend's tank (that you trust not to have diseases etc) tank some mulm and toss it in your tank. The mulm plus getting some watersprite and hygrophila are great ways to instantly cycle your tank (as long as you slowly add the fish). If you don't have access to some mulm, get the plants I mentioned and some bio-spira (beneficial bacteria starter). Bio-spira is a liquid and has to be refrigerated so you have a much better chance of getting live bacteria than the dried-out kind. Using bio-spira and the plants, your cycling should be pretty minimal. The key is to have actively growing, fast growing plants that will suck up the nutrients and help start the cycle. If the plants aren't growing, they aren't doing anything for your water chemistry and could in fact, make the problem worse if they are rotting.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. I have used Bio Spira in the past for SW. I removed the non aquatic plants already. DOH! I added a few anubias this morning. I will look for some watersprite or hygrophylia as well. Thanks.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Went looking for watersprite and Hydrophilia. Found someone who has Hydro clippings. Bought some Hornwart at Petsmart along with a new FW Master test kit. Will try that tomorrow. Still looking for watersprite. Never seen that locally I think.

What about hornwart?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Hornwort is a great nutrient sponge.
You can also try anacharis.
What you want are really fast growing stems, or even some large floaters like Water Lettuce.
Ludwidgia also worked well for me when it comes to helping cycle.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great. Added quite a bit of this to my tank earlier in the day. Will check the amonia levels tomorrow as well.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Anyone know how much bio-spira costs roughly?

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I bought a bag good for up to 90G (I think) for 14.00 at my LFS...

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bio SPira for SW tanks was expensive. I think 25 or 30 bucks. Used it twice in the past few years.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode