shelving for multiple small tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
shelving for multiple small tanks?

I'm looking to set up a rack in my fish room for 3 10's and a 20g long. at least for now, possible more 10's in the future.

I'm looking at buying this, instead of building

http://www.lowes.com/pd_101932-1281-...ves&facetInfo=

it has a rating of 800lbs per shelf; so I should really have no issue tossing 3 10's on a shelf, right? though, since each shelf is particle board I should probably toss a piece of 2x4 across it so it goes metal to metal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have also looked into those shelfs for something like that. You should be fine if what they say is true that it holds 800 lbs per shelf. Figured at 84 lbs per tank with water plus substrate/dirt so 100 lbs to be safe and you should have 500 lbs headroom after 3 10's.

Just for safe measures though and to put my mind at easy I would definitely reinforce the shelfs with 2x4's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 05:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
We use older versions of this one at my work (pizza delivery place) and it holds a lot of lbs of product. We have a 4 shelf one and the middle shelf holds roughly 500 lbs of peppers and other canned goods. I'd think it'd work very well for your needs. I'd definately put something between the metal and the glass (like styrofoam) no matter what unit you go with. I got a good deal on some thin styrofoam from a place that does model trains. a hobby shop might have it as well. Or 1/4th inch plywood might work too and you can have the guys at HD or Lowes cut it for ya

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 05:55 AM
Algae Grower

I looked a something similar to this at homedepo with the same intent as you. The shelves seem to be a issue. They are verry thin and a press board material and would bow/ break if it got moisture on it. Maybe it would be better with plywood that has been treated to repl moisture for shelves. I am still trying to figure out what I'm going to do.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

another option is melamine shelves on top of the particle board shelves.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1 I am using this for a 40b with some smaller tanks on the bottom shelf, you do not have to set it up tall it can be 2 short racks, I cut a 2x3 down to screw into the shelves to give them a bit more strength I had put a 10g and a 8g on one of the shelves and it started sagging but a 2x3 screwed down the middle of the shelf long ways solves the problem, I like this unit because it has a more finished look you do not see the holes for the shelf rails and a 40 b fits perfectly in this unit
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone454 View Post
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1 I am using this for a 40b with some smaller tanks on the bottom shelf, you do not have to set it up tall it can be 2 short racks, I cut a 2x3 down to screw into the shelves to give them a bit more strength I had put a 10g and a 8g on one of the shelves and it started sagging but a 2x3 screwed down the middle of the shelf long ways solves the problem, I like this unit because it has a more finished look you do not see the holes for the shelf rails and a 40 b fits perfectly in this unit
what part started sagging; the particle board?

i intend on running a piece of 2x4 front to back, or side to side, for each tank so that the metal framing of the shelf is what supports the tank.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
The paint on those things are pretty thin, if you get it, make sure you touch up any bare spots. It will rust.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have a set of this type of shelving. It is old and it is all metal. I find it lacks lateral strength. Twisting it can be a real problem.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoof View Post
another option is melamine shelves on top of the particle board shelves.
Do not get melamine wet. Its total garbage on the scale of "engineered wood"
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
We've got three at my shop to hold cases of paper. They are strong enough but add a plywood on top of the press board and you'll bee fine. Melamine would also work. If it weren't meant for a damp area they wouldn't use it for kitchen countertops. Just never use a treated wood. 2x bracing I feel is not needed.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you change your mind, and decide to go DIY, it's pretty easy to use 2x12s with simple dados to create a similar shelf system, and 2x12s are about the perfect size for 10gallons.

Cost would probably be about the same once you figure in stain/varnish/paint and fasteners and such, but it would be a _lot_ stronger. It would take a couple beers worth of work though, but you can do it all with just a circular saw and chisel. in an afternoon/evening.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have those shelves, just replace the particle board with plywood, and i would paint the plywood to protect it from water damage. I have multiple 20 longs on one unit and then another unit i have 3-10s on one shelf and another 20long below that

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post

i intend on running a piece of 2x4 front to back, or side to side, for each tank so that the metal framing of the shelf is what supports the tank.
Yes it sagged in the middle basically in both directions like a bowl but 1 2x3 down the middle long ways solved the problem
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post

Yes, like stated above and by others. Once the particle board gets wet it won't matter if it is reinforced by 2x4's. The particle board will pretty much crumble once it is wet. It is a good shelf just so long as you replace the particle board. The frame is solid.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode