Dry Ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry Ferts

I currently have a 29 gallon aquarium with a corralife 65 watt light and DIY
Co2.
I know I need to dose it with dry ferts and was wondering where you guys would reccommend getting them. This site was reccommended to me I was just wondering where any of you got yours.

http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/ferts.html

I have also read through the estimative index article several times and I am still having a little difficulty in understanding it. Could anyone link me to maybe an easier article to understand in terms of dosing or explain something I am missing maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
I havent ordered from Rex but I will in the future, price is cheaper and I know how to get in touch with him.

As far as dosing, get your ferts and follow this guide
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...-regimes_.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have ordered from Rex and his "combo pack" is the way to go for limited # of tanks.

Re: EI dosing ... try this one ...
http://www.barrreport.com/estimative...chy-folks.html

Keep Smilin'
John

"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
.................................John Wayne
disclaimer: When I took "The Dukes" quote as my signature, I was thinking of me, not you.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 03:56 AM

if ya dont order from rex here is the other place to get them

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/

I ordered from them a couple weeks ago and they have seem to fix all the problems that were experienced from the switch over from when they bought it from greg watson. I paid 5$ for shipping and 11$ for my order. not to bad for a year and half worth of ferts.

I been using the PPS method for fertiilzing. I Like how the plants are moderate to slow growing and show no problems. Both ways work nice I just prefer the lower maitance of the PPS system.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
you should note that the PPS or PPMD (whatever its called) is *different* than the method that Tom Barr and Rex (and 90% of the people on this forum use)...the pre-mix from Greg Watsons new group have different nutrients in them than the combo pack from Rex. Don't be scared about not having a "pre-mix" I know in the beginning you are looking for ways to keep it simple, but really the pre-mix won't allow you to experiment w/ ratios in the later days, and one of the nutrients listed in the PPMD pre-mix isn't suggested/required in the EI method...

Read the EI article from Tom's forum (link above), its a really neat method for getting away from the daily water testing using equipment that doesn't even work accurately, LOL. It seems complicated at first, but in the end EI is going to be simpler. I do 2.4 wpg, EI, pressurized CO2, Rex ferts per the recommended dose/schedule that most everyone does here, and have a tank w/ hardly any algae at all these days (I would say "no" algae but just yesterday a very little green on the glass )...

The thing to learn, that I've been learning, is its a "balance" between fish load, plant load, fertilizers, light and CO2...if something is way out of balance, you'll have algae or worse. If low-tech w/ no CO2, then lower fertilizers, b/c you won't want to do a water change every week (algae respond to changes faster than plants). If high-tech w/ 30ppm CO2 (which I doubt you get w/ DIY CO2?) then higher ferts and weekly water changes... the EI method just ensures that you don't overdose the ferts, yet ensures that a lack of ferts isn't a limiting factor on plant growth. Finding out what the "balance" is, that's apparently the hard part, the EI method is like a shortcut until you know more about affecting the balance.

NOTE: To do a *SEARCH* and get the answer you want, its often best to go to "Advanced Search" and search in the title only.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
ps, www.rexgrigg.com if you haven't read his site before there's some good info, just follow the directions on how to order the combo pack pretty easy...

NOTE: To do a *SEARCH* and get the answer you want, its often best to go to "Advanced Search" and search in the title only.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInFlorida View Post
I have ordered from Rex and his "combo pack" is the way to go for limited # of tanks.

Re: EI dosing ... try this one ...
http://www.barrreport.com/estimative...chy-folks.html

Keep Smilin'
John
Where is this "combo pack"?
I have been clicking around that rex site and can't seem to find it.

Other than that thank you all for what you have posted. I kind of get more of a gist of what I am going to need to dose.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/ferts.html

Quote:
Combo Pack. 1 lb KNO3, 1 lb K2SO4, Ĺ lb each of KH2PO4 and Plantex CSM+B - $13 Shipping on the Combo pack is $5.10
HTH

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

O duh...thanks a lot guys.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode