plants take in chloramines? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
do plants separate the amines from the chloramines and use it and thus rendering it harmless? before i knew that we had chloramines (i thought we had chlorines) i would do water changes every week about 10% because i read on the internet that small water changes will not give sufficient quantities of chlorine to harm fish.. plants have got to be the best biological and chemical filters..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I don't think plants are able to break the chloramine bond.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks Sexy Rexy (hubba hubba) , but my fish don't get harmed by the chloramines...i thought that was interesting...

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Perhaps a question of concentration? :idea:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Algae Grower

Chlorine and chloramine will kill fish. Trust me. I think you are very lucky.

Bob
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yea, i think it is a question of concentration..as longas i don't change too much water, its' fine. but just to be on the safe side imma go get me some prime.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank VIP

I would invest in some Prime if I were you. I fyour local water department is already using chloramines you need to have some on hand. Water departments usually vary the concentration of the chloramine depending on the requirements. For instance, last year when some work was being done on a water line miles away from my house they added 4 times the normal amount of chloramine to the water supply to kill off any introduced bacteria into the main line.

The net effect: I dosed my tank for the normal concentration of Chloramine during a water change, however the concentration was so high I killed off 20 fish.

Don't take any chances, even if you don't use much, keep it around.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

NO WAY! I'm so sorry to hear that Gareth.... 20 fish??? and i'm thinking that the loaches would be real sensitive right, since they are scaleless.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Yes, I lost 7 Clown loaches, 4 Bala's, 1 Pleco, 3 SAE's, and 5 Rasbora's...

I learned my lesson back then, and now I buy my dechlorinator in 2 litre jugs.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
So even if you add the correct amount of dechlor, you are not safe from trouble...

Any solution for this? Are there simple tests that can be done before each water change? Overdose dechlorinators? Ask the water supplier to call you? Ask them to buy you new fishies and pay for the damage done to your crying children?

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank VIP

heh heh.. this is going to sound silly.. but I taste my tap water before every change.

I can taste the chloramine "if" the concentration is significantly higher then it should be. In that case I use 2x or 4x the normal dose of dechlorinator. I use aqua plus, and it is "apparently" safe to use at up to 5X the normal concentration.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

tha'ts nothing, Gareth, I taste my aquarium water until i get the right amount of nitrates (10 ppm) phosphates (1 ppm) and potassium (10 ppm)

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Heh... I would do that but ever since I got an entire mouth full of water from a dirty canister filter I havent been able to go near tank water without gagging...

Lets see you get a mouth full of fish crap and mulm and come out of it feeling alright..... *gag*

*shudder*

It was truly the single most disgusting thing I have ever had in my mouth... (including the numerous times in my childhood I was forced to eat digusting things by the bigger kids.. lol)

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

mulm is not only good for plants, it's got the necessary daily nutrients for humans too. One tall glass full is like a shake yum yum I eat a healthy breakfast, drink a shake for lunch, and eat a sensible dinner and it keeps off the weight.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank VIP

heh.... you first....

;-)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode