How bad is new plants and no light?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)

So I got my plants today from aquariumgarden.com. That was the ONLY good thing to happen. After I planted them all I managed to drop a 3 gallon bucket in the tank and screw up the WHOLE thing, ended up replanting almost everything. Not to mention splashed water everywhere. After replanting, I was already pretty angry, because I like how the plants looked better before I screwed it all up. Anyways, I was starting to get excited again and put the ballast back on the tank and turned it on. It flashed, made a poppong sound, and shut off. Apparently I got water on it, and when I turned it on, it managed to crack the buld right at the end where the little bridge thing is (compact flourcent). I just ordered a new bulb from AH Supply, and asked them to overnight it. Hopefully I'll have it wednesday (being 11 o'clock monday night). Will my plants be OK 2 whole days without light?? (being tomorrow and wed before I get home)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 04:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
i would guess they would probably survive.....but if at all possible maybe introduce some natural sunlight to help tide them over?...plants dont typically die in one day...unless you do something dumb.....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 04:25 AM
2la

They'll be fine for quite some time. They're new plants so will shed their leaves anyway no matter how much light you'd be able to give them.

Remember that many people perform 4-, 5-day blackouts to 'reset' their tanks to control algae problems, and by all accounts the plants come out fine--if momentarily stunted--at the end of it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 04:00 AM
Planted Member

thats a very good point about the blackouts...although, ive never encountered the shedding plants...but i havent ordered any either...all of mine were from local sources...maybe that makes a dif?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 06:45 AM
2la

Yes, that can make a difference. Most commercial sellers get their plants from nurseries that grow plants hydroponically because they grow faster and transport better. Once they're submersed they'll start the process of adapting to fully aquatic conditions.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode