Going to a collecting trip in Bay Area, Norcal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Going to a collecting trip in Bay Area, Norcal

This weekend I'm planning to go to a nice hiking place that have lush plants and lots of river streams where we can see, and perhaps get some submerged emerged plants. I think this will help me get some new fresh perpectives with planted tanks and nature in general.

We are thinking someplace in Muir Woods, but that place is huge and we don't know any trails. Any tips about places to go, tips about collecting plants etc are appreciated!

Really hoping to get to a place like Tom's post here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...od-stream.html

Cheers,
H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Taking anything from a National Monument ain't wise nor a State park, National seashore, etc.
Never take things out of any park.
It's illegal.
It's bad mojo. It's like taking rocks from Hawaii.
That's why I take pictures, not plants.

If I must have a sample:
Generally, you can find the plants outside the parks in streams or nearby or somewhere else etc.

Take a small amount, if it's suitable for aquariums, you should never need much.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Hi Tom,
Thanks, yeah your photos really inepired us, even my wife who isn't into the idea of leaving the city is intrigued. We are thinking about Big Basin, from basic research on the net, seems like it may have more stream, less touristy.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Try some of the side roads, most of that area is really nice anyway.
If the wife hates beautiful verdent meadows and deep primevil forest, take her to the beach not far from there at sunset(there are many) or tidepooling, or to Castle Rock and watch the sun over a waterfall.

If that does not appease her, get divorce

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Tom, you really think taking a tiny plant sample from a national park is so deplorable?
I was Kayaking in NJ and took 10 different plant samples, and I mean a stem or two.
I probably scraped off more plants from the bottom of my shoe, then took in a baggie.
And don't give me that "if everyone did it, they'd be nothing left" jazz, because we on
PTF are among the few aquatic plant nuts, that are plant curious enough to bother.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Try some of the side roads, most of that area is really nice anyway.
If the wife hates beautiful verdent meadows and deep primevil forest, take her to the beach not far from there at sunset(there are many) or tidepooling, or to Castle Rock and watch the sun over a waterfall.

If that does not appease her, get divorce

Regards,
Tom Barr

Well, "wife" loves nature, meadows and forest, just not the 4 hours hike, especially when never hike before (other than on elliptical climber at the gym LOL). :p

- wife.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't fret, the beach you can drive right to, the Castle Rock hike is 0.8 miles and driving with a pinic lunch and stopping at such places, you ought to score huge goodie points in the romance dept.

Got to keep the other 1/2 happy.
I'm trying to help you here

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
Tom, you really think taking a tiny plant sample from a national park is so deplorable?
I was Kayaking in NJ and took 10 different plant samples, and I mean a stem or two.
I probably scraped off more plants from the bottom of my shoe, then took in a baggie.
And don't give me that "if everyone did it, they'd be nothing left" jazz, because we on
PTF are among the few aquatic plant nuts, that are plant curious enough to bother.
True, but I'm not going to tell you to do that either
It's more a legal issue. I gave folks options where else to look.
I also know where else to look where it is legal for that species.
Most of the plants we are interested are not rare if present, it is their habitat that is becoming rare sadly.

While you might not take a bunch, some newbie(or not so newbie) might. Swimming, boating etc takes a toll on the plants in some systems and they limit the traffic accordingly, but reactreational usage versus collectors is something the Parks do not like to get into.

Policy and consistency are issues with most parks.
They allow clear cutting sections in CA for various lumber companies, scarred hillsides for decades, death of everything in the streams, renting the ecosystem away for peanuts, but if you take a mushroom or a plant, you go to jail.

Does not seem too fair to me either.

I mentioned one place to hobbyist years ago, they went and got caught. I did not tell them to take it from there, just that's the type of place you would fine it. Right in front of the ranger too

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)
don't take anything from Parks,
and get caught!
hehe

Mark

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Gothca Tom,
and sorry about the wifey, that's what happened when you have share a computer with your spouse, she gets to read everything I post and reply with my ID...

IMHO, they should relaxed the rule about taking "samples". People have been allowed to take abalones from the ocean, perhaps same thing can be done with plant life in very limited amount.

Going to get a new digicam as well, will post pics if I get some nice shots.

Cheers,
H
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oni_XL View Post

IMHO, they should relaxed the rule about taking "samples". People have been allowed to take abalones from the ocean, perhaps same thing can be done with plant life in very limited amount.
Not so because this leads into the spread of invasive species into other habitats. IE milfoil into lakes

Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni_XL View Post
Gothca Tom,
and sorry about the wifey, that's what happened when you have share a computer with your spouse, she gets to read everything I post and reply with my ID...

H
I was helping you out there.
Telling you how to approach it so she can have a lot of fun and romance as well as appeasing your interest as well. Keeping you from getting arrested too

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Don't fret, the beach you can drive right to, the Castle Rock hike is 0.8 miles and driving with a pinic lunch and stopping at such places, you ought to score huge goodie points in the romance dept.

Got to keep the other 1/2 happy.
I'm trying to help you here

Regards,
Tom Barr
wooo picnic !!
Nah, we share similar interest in this. Each of us got a planted tank of our own too

Thanks for the tip!

-wifey.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode