Plant problem... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Plant problem...

Hi, I just registered here and am looking for a little help. I rescued a betta from a horrible death. He is doing well and I got a ten gallon tank and wanted to put some plants in it for him. No, I didn't do my research first. Anyway, I've have the plants about three days. My brazilian pennywort was really nice when I bought but in three days it has really gone downhill. I don't know what the issue is. It looks... burned. It's not black or charred looking but it looks really bad. I pinched a piece off and the leaves appear to be very wilted and slimey- not covered in slime but like the leaf itself is melting. I can take a picture of the plant if that would help and post it. I also have a giant hygropilia, red melon sword, micro sword and cardinal plant. The 10 gallon tank that I bought has a really cheap hood to it and has two 25w incandescent bulbs. The water temp is 82 degrees, I checked the water parameters (for the fish) - amonia in the safe zone,(test strip), nitrates and nitrites are safe, water is hard, ph is neutral. Is this enough information for you to help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 05:49 PM

82degrees for your planted tank seems a bit warm. You may want to 1) reduce the temp gradually to around 75degrees, and 2) keep reading on this forum and others about DIY CO2 and fertilizers for your tank. Rex Grigg's guide is also a good start.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ok first off ditch the lights !!! Coralife sells screw in power compacts that will do the job. You could also try any old house hold power compact bulbs. The sword will out grow the 10 gallon very quickly. The next step is simple DIY co2 or even excel would work well. Next try to put in flourite or eco complete as a substrate fertilizer. Most of the plants you got are fairly un-demanding with 2-13 watt spiral power compact bulbs, excel and flourite you should be able to grow most plants.

also you might want to read rex's guide. it will answer all your questions and more !http://www.rexgrigg.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happy fishing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ninja posted!..... ninja linked!

happy fishing

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

thanks I will make the suggested changes and see what happens. Forgive my ignorance, but "power compact" means flourescent bulb, right?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah you know the new power saver spiral light bulbs ? there called power compacts you can get just normal ones (look for daylight) or Coralife sells ones you could pick up at a fish store that sells coralife products....however i have never tried the coralife ones so im not sure they would fit but i know the household ones do.

happy fishing

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Sometimes daylight bulbs aren't the right ones. I have some Sylvania Daylight Extra 13w spirals that are only 3500K. Plants need 6500K or so, so look for bulbs no lower than that range. The "K" is "kelvin", a rating of the color temperature of the light. I looked and looked and looked for anything higher than 6000K at WalMart and HomeDepot. I found lots of bulbs that didn't specify the kelvin rating, and the ones that DID specify were way too low.

If you can't find any around 6500K near you, you can order them online ~ I've had good luck with 1000bulbs.com ~ just a few bucks per bulb (if I'm remembering right, less than two bucks apiece for the 15w I got and less than three for the 30s and shipping was reasonable). I bought some of their 15w 6500k (or was it 6700? Can't remember) and their 30w 6500k and have been playing around with different configurations above my ten gallon tanks (I have five total). One tank has 15w plus a little dappled sunlight, another has two 30w and still another has two 15w. I'll soon be adding lights above another two ten gallon tanks, so will have more room to fiddle around with light levels and learn about them.

One question I have about your plants, Tina ~ when you bought them, were they all under water (submersed)? Or were some of them kept out of the water (emersed)? Some plants are grown emersed and some of those will melt when they go from growing emersed to growing submersed. Also, I've found that some plants will melt from transplant shock, but they'll get over it eventually ~ that very thing happened to my hydrocotyle (pennywort). That really sounds more like your problem since it happened so fast. Lack of light in my experience takes a lot longer to make plants melt, and they'll grow long and leggy before they finally give up and start dying. You still need better lights, so I'd go ahead and get them as well. But I thought I'd also mention the possible other cause.

Good luck! And welcome to the planted tank world (and the forum, too! ). Soon, you'll be just like a lot of us here and have MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome). It only took about three months for me.

~ Linda ~

How many watts do I need to make my swimming pool a high light tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode