Tunze powerhead - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tunze powerhead

I keep reading about increased circulation in planted aquariums so I'm wondering if anyone uses Tunze powerheads in their planted tanks. I have used Tunze products for years in marine aquariums and currently use two 6015's in my 29 gal. nano reef. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Overkill - unnecessary.
Very little circulation is actually needed in a planted tank BTW.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower

i came over from reef tanks too and i am currently using a vortech mp10w on my 20 long.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
I tried out a 6015 and a 6045 in my 90P. Love the way they churned the water. Ultimately, was too much of an eyesore vs a Hydor Nano and most likely overkill, agreed.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

okay thanks for the input. I've seen the Hydor nano 240. They seem like good pumps. I think I'll purchase that one. Does the suction cup design work well? It appears it works by suction cup and magnet; correct? Finally, if not much flow is necessary is the Hydro nano too much for a 29 gallon. I have an old Hagen in there now, but it's on it's last leg and barely pushing anything out. Plus the flow is narrow versus wide like the Tunze or I suppose Hydor design.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Planted Member

the 240 won't be too much flow on a 29. I tried both a 240 and a 425 (what I stuck with) on my 90P. They run dead silent and the suction design is great. Hydor is definitely a narrower push than the Tunze, which is good for achieving circular movement around the tank.

Last edited by BigL_RIP; 12-06-2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for input on the MP10 but $235 is a bit out my price range at the moment. Maybe when I setup a larger dedicated planted tank, but this is sort of an experiment to try but is quickly becoming an obsession.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks again. Wasn't sure how the suction worked. Just had bad experience with other types of suction such as heaters eventually not sticking as they got older so I just lay mine flat to hide as I don't have a sump. So it's not blowing the plant leaves around right? Also where did you place yours? Do you just have it blowing toward the front glass from a back corner? Or blowing toward the substrate?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Planted Member

well, it depends on angle. It'll move leaves if it's aimed that way. I have mine diagonally opposed to the lily pipe output, to supplement circular flow. So, front right corner for lily and rear left for nano. I use it primarily to agitate the surface. The magnet embedded in the suction cup works very well.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Agreed. The Nanos are perfect and would be the best in a 29.

Not to hijack but how much more flow does the 425 provide over the 240 Daniel? Was debating on trying that in my tank to increase flow.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCzar View Post
Thanks for input on the MP10 but $235 is a bit out my price range at the moment. Maybe when I setup a larger dedicated planted tank, but this is sort of an experiment to try but is quickly becoming an obsession.
yeah they are expensive, i just had them left over form when i ran reef tanks so i put one in the new planted tank. i actually had 2 of the mp10's and 2 of the mp40's on my reef tank, tunze and vortech are by far the best ph's imo

the hydor ph's with magnet mounts are good, i've used them before. the early ones used to leak electricity into the water as they aged, i had 4 do that to me but that was several years ago.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
Overkill - unnecessary.
Very little circulation is actually needed in a planted tank BTW.
Very little in comparison to a reef tank, but circulation is still very important in a planted tank. No one likes a stagnant, stinky algae filled tank.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 01:16 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
Agreed. The Nanos are perfect and would be the best in a 29.

Not to hijack but how much more flow does the 425 provide over the 240 Daniel? Was debating on trying that in my tank to increase flow.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
hey man. It's significant. The 240 needs to be right at the top to achieve agitation, which can be temperamental with evaporation, etc. Even then, it wasn't enough in my 90. I loved the way the Tunze seemed to activate the whole tank and could be swiveled, but ultimately I opted for the 425, best compromise of form factor.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
Very little in comparison to a reef tank, but circulation is still very important in a planted tank. No one likes a stagnant, stinky algae filled tank.
Aye, but a little flow doesn't equal stagnant, smelly tank, thus my post.
There is a limit to how efficiently the plants can process light/Co2 during light and dark reactions. The point of diminishing returns happens very quickly as flow increases in a planted tank.
This in contrast to the surge zone we're often trying to emulate in reef tanks.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks again. I ordered the hydor 240 and a 425 but the 425 is for a nano reef. It appears they can be swiveled or pivoted around the suction cup for positioning. I hope I'm right. I was a bit confused about bringing up surface agitation. Everything I've read keeps saying no surface agitation to reduce gas exchange of CO2. I was even thinking about a canister filter due to this but I think I'll deal with my HOB and calm down for now even though I'd like a place for my heater and having an inline reactor for CO2 would be great. Overall thanks again for the recommendation. $25 for a pump work for me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode