Evaporation rate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem
Evaporation rate

My tank is topless and over the last few days it's been super dry here, so in less they a week I've lost 2 inches of water.

Putting a top on my tank is out of the question unless I want to custom order a glass top, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Would putting Saran Wrap over the top help?

The way my tank is, you wouldn't see the wrap if I place it just rite. Would it cause any issue with how the light hits the tank? It would be clear but if need be I can leave it open where the light is.

Normally I only have to refill the tank once every two weeks, I hope this dry spell ends soon.

"And 5, very important 5... Don't let me eat pears.. I HATE PEARS."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
A fixture sitting on glass doesn't reduce the par by much, but plastic wrap you may not get it close enough without melting, but as long as there isn't a reflection I think it would be okay. Obviously you'd have to be careful about sealing off the entire tank, make sure you leave some room for air transfer.

My question is why not just some distilled water or ro/di water and just replace it as it evaporates? Depending on your planting you could even refill it with tap that small of an amount wouldn't change the TDS by that much as long as you're plants are sucking stuff outta the water column you'd just be replacing the minerals.

You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm not home enough to replace it all the time. I have leds so no worry over it melting. I can't close it all the way, the filter needs to put water back into the tank.

To refill with distiller would cost way to much, our tap is pretty good and my plants do better in it, again the problem is I'm not home enough to refill it every day. I just need something temporally till the dry spell ends and I am home more often.

I see people using the wrap on dry start tanks so I don't think it will be an issue.

The way my tank is it would be very expensive to get a glass top for it as it would have to be custom cut.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 04:27 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Saran Wrap would limit the exchange of any gas, not just water vapor. Oxygen, for example. Which your fish might complain about at certain times of the day. Not a good solution, IMO.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Again, not covering the whole top, there will be a rather large gap where the filters will be, and a gap under the light. The tanks also heavily planted, you can't even see half way into it.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Algae Grower

Im noob but, are you in a position to get an auto top off system going some how?

JAVA MOSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melted View Post
Im noob but, are you in a position to get an auto top off system going some how?
Nope, living in an apartment has it's limits.

The dry spell should end soon, but till then I need a temporary way to help with evaporation just for the next week and a half.

After that I will be home enough to fill it up when needed

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 05:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Instead of going with glass if it's only temporary, why not pick up some plexiglass or acrylic and cut a top from that stuff? Doesn't have to be pretty if you're only going to be using it for a week, and easy to store away until you need it again. Both are pretty easy to cut to the size/shape you need and with a bit of sanding for the rough edges you're done.

You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 06:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
Instead of going with glass if it's only temporary, why not pick up some plexiglass or acrylic and cut a top from that stuff? Doesn't have to be pretty if you're only going to be using it for a week, and easy to store away until you need it again. Both are pretty easy to cut to the size/shape you need and with a bit of sanding for the rough edges you're done.
+1 I agree

This is what I have done for my new build. Less restricting on the lights as you don't have the hinge in the way on the versa top and it is cheaper. Lowes and Home Depot sell it for cheap and will even cut it for you for free. I am assuming since you said you would have to custom order glass that it is probably a bow front maybe? In that case it may be a little more challenging but you could cut it to fit up to the bow then you would at least have air circulation from that part.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 06:17 AM
Planted Member

Why not get a glass top? There's got to be a glass shop somewhere around your town. Or even a framing store could probably cut you a piece of glass. Just buy a piece of glass cut to the correct size, leaving space for filter, heater, etc. and silicone some pieces of airline tubing underneath the glass so it can't slide off. How big is your tank? If prices are comparable to the glass shop I go to, it shouldn't cost more than $10-15. Maybe less if you get unfinished edges, and you could sand them yourself, though it won't look as clean as a seam-cut edge.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Again, custom cutting glass or plastic is out of my budget right now, my tank is not a standard tank, it won't be an easy cut at all. Let me put it this way, I'm flat broke currently and only have enough to spend on food and gass till my next pay day in a week and a half, thus why asking. If it can't be done it can't be done.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
It absolutely can be done. I have wrapped the tops of my 55g and 36g with saran wrap every 3 days a new wrap, with no problems for a number of years on and off. The evap will condense and drip back into the tank, no problem. I've used saran,glad,great value, no problem. I do like to replace it every 2-3 days, but that's just a thing I do. Also, I will mention that Ice always had a small portion of the top uncovered, I'd say about 1/4 of the top. I'm not sure it would matter, I just covered in front of my lights and didn't worry about the back. You will lose some, but the covering makes a noticeable difference with how often I top off.

Hope this helps, I'm a bit tipsy on some wine
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune_Gem View Post
Again, custom cutting glass or plastic is out of my budget right now, my tank is not a standard tank, it won't be an easy cut at all. Let me put it this way, I'm flat broke currently and only have enough to spend on food and gass till my next pay day in a week and a half, thus why asking. If it can't be done it can't be done.
People are just trying to help you out and offer suggestions or cheaper alternatives that might work better. No one was aware that you were on a strict budget as you never stated that from the beginning. I know myself and I am sure others were under the impression you just didn't have it in your budget to order something custom so cheaper alternatives were suggested.

When you say it is not a standard tank what do you mean? What is not standard about it? Is it a bow front, custom design or something? A little more information might be able to help people offer you something better.

I can tell you this, the plastic would be the same price if not cheaper than Saran Wrap and depending on where you get it, if they do cutting, they will do it for free. If not using that, then corrugated plastic like is used for yard signs and other things is really cheap too like a $1 and you can cut it with scissors and to any shape you need it. IMO, I don't think covering it how you are describing is going help as it as it still has plenty of space to evap.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If the top being covered is only temporary, then who cares whether the top fit's ,or what material is used (ie) plexiglass,plastic Wrap, scrap pieces of glass ?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode