temperate tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
temperate tank

All right, I've done some planted tanks in my day and I've decided I'm done with the normal tropical ones. I've decided to make a tank showcasing some fish found in my local stream and lake. Of the five species I've found suitable for the aquarium, only two are sold at my favorite pet store, so those are the ones I'll be taking. (I'd rather not take any from the wild.)
The only thing is, I've yet to find a plant that'll do okay in 65-70 degree water, and I really want to use some. Do any of you guys know of any? I'll only need about four or five different kinds; my lake is pretty devoid of plant life so it'll still look realistic. I can't identify any of the plant species out there, that's the problem. If it matters, my tank is 30 gallons (long) and if I can get away with it I'm going to use sand, but I think I'll have to go with fine gravel instead.

If any of you know of any plants, please let me know!! I've been wanting this tank for ages but if I can't find plants I'm not doing it!!

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Actually there are only few plants that will not be happy with a 65-70F temperature range. Surprisingly many plants from temperate climates of North America and Europe in our tanks that we keep too warm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
dude,
there are tons...
from vals, to hair grass, to elodea, to Ludwigia. Keep things 70F/room temperature and things will be fine.

I meant to share this with you guys.. This is a great Database of American plants... You have to go through it and find just aquatic plants.
http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/photos.html

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info; I've only ever done warm tropical tanks before and I didn't want to kill anything!!

Thanks a million.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
heh,
you're in nevada.. Is there such a thing as a temperate climate there?

Last edited by mistergreen; 07-18-2007 at 03:36 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/86%)
I too am setting up a cool water temperate tank, moss has explosive growth in cooler water(most).

Sags with grow fine, hair grass, vals, crypts, java ferns, anubis, etc etc.

I am just starting my research and am finding a whole new world of possibilities without a heater.

I know most plants i have are growing perfectly fine in my unheated snail breeding tank, even when temps were in the low 60's.

Eheim Pimp #216
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 03:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
I think this is a really cool idea. I was just curious, what type of local fish are you using?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bitterling and bluegill perch are the ones I've seen for sale (and in the lake), but if I see any others that'll fit in my tank I'll consider those as well. Snails definately. Maybe shrimp/dwarf crayfish? I'm not too fussed about the fish anyhow, as there aren't too many to choose from and this tank is more experimental than anything else. A lot of the fish I've seen in the lake get huge, so obviously my choice is limited.
Of course, I'm open to suggestions if anyone else knows of some native Nevada fish . . .
Thanks, umm . . . GRRR I forgot your name, for the plant list.
To mistergreen: LOL, I wouldn't think so either, but Lake Tahoe drops to the 20's in winter.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

AHA!
sayn3ver!!! Thanks!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode