Clean plants of duckweed? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Clean plants of duckweed?

So, I used to have Duckweed. Due to moving, I managed to utilize the sterilization method --- kill everything.

Right now, I'm starting a tank with some plants, but to get them, I'm worried about introducing pests.

Plenty of literature on snail elimination.

However, duckweed search comes up with a lot of information but none that answers my question.

What's the best way to clean new aquarium plants to make sure you won't have duckweed?

Even if they seller says they don't have duckweed, I'm not trusting it, so I want to take precautions. In fact, I bought some moss from a seller off CL that claims she had no snails or duckweed and what did I find when I got home, one tiny piece of duckweed and a few snails. <sigh>

My plan is to rinse the plant thoroughly, then put it in a QT tank. Let the lights run and see if anything grows (ie. duckweed or snails or other pests).

However, if duckweed does appear, are there any more proactive measures to make sure they're eliminated? My plan was to clean plant again, drain and sterilize equipment, and try again... and again... and again... etc until no duckweed occurs.

Yes, I'm determined not to have duckweed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 05:04 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think what you have outlined is a good method. A good rinse followed by quarantine for some time will allow you to filter and check to ensure that you have no unwanted pests.

If you do happen to find some, at least they have not been introduced into your main/show aquariums, and you can easily scrub down and remove the unwanted pests from the quarantine tank.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I have had this problem as well. As soon as I get rid of all the duck weed in my tank. It starts popping up again and again. In one half of my aquarium now. There is an inch thick layer of the crap. I just can't get rid of it and it won't go away, sigh

must....have.....more....moss n shrimp!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dang, I was hoping for an easier answer

Petsmart and Petco have those tissue cultured plants that are supposed to be pest free, but they don't offer the variations I want.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
One man's pest is another's gold?

I can't grow either to save my life!

The combination of juvenile angelfish and low nitrates makes duckweed impossible for me. Ditto for snails. A batch of month-old angelfish fry will do away with duckweed in a hurry, and it won't be back.

One man's pest is another's gold?

I can't grow either to save my life!

The combination of juvenile angelfish and low nitrates makes duckweed impossible for me. Ditto for snails. A batch of month-old angelfish fry will do away with duckweed in a hurry, and it won't be back.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-06-2013 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendthis View Post
Dang, I was hoping for an easier answer

Petsmart and Petco have those tissue cultured plants that are supposed to be pest free, but they don't offer the variations I want.
i recently bought those plants just because of their pest and disease free advertisement. and can tell you from what i recently bought they are very healthy plants, and are doing really well so far. better than dwarf hair grass and plants i bought from sellers on ebay that stressed after a few days in the tank, and are long gone now. the topfin plants are thriving, and have no signs of stress.
shame they don't offer what you want.

Play at the edge of your comfort zone
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bushkill --- At one point, I also wanted the duckweed, but if your conditions are ideal, that stuff just takes over. It clogs filters. It leaves unsightly mess on the sides of tanks and makes it harder to clean. I like floating plants --- I'm considering frogbit since it's easier to control.

I certainly don't want snails in my invertebrate tanks... it's so much harder to treat it. Anything that kills snails will likely kill shrimp whether it's pesticide or predator.

pink4miss --- good to know. They have a few plants I wouldn't mind... maybe I'll online to see their full offerings b/c the store was either out or didn't carry all the varieties.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wish there was an easy solution as well. I got some water lettuce and apparently duckweed came with it. Now it seems everytime I clean it out I have more duckweed grow back the water lettuce.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendthis View Post
Bushkill --- At one point, I also wanted the duckweed, but if your conditions are ideal, that stuff just takes over. It clogs filters. It leaves unsightly mess on the sides of tanks and makes it harder to clean. I like floating plants --- I'm considering frogbit since it's easier to control.

I certainly don't want snails in my invertebrate tanks... it's so much harder to treat it. Anything that kills snails will likely kill shrimp whether it's pesticide or predator.

pink4miss --- good to know. They have a few plants I wouldn't mind... maybe I'll online to see their full offerings b/c the store was either out or didn't carry all the varieties.
The grass is always greener. I had a 1" thick mat in a 40 breeder. I would give away grocery bags full of the stuff.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm still scraping dead duckweed and picking out snail shells out of equipment...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
A quarantine tank is about the only way to keep duckweed out of your aquarium. I know how much of a pain duckweed can be. I keep frogbit in my tanks and the only way to get the duckweed out is to pull all of the floating plants out and then keep the surface clean for a few weeks. Usually by then any duckweed that was in the tank is gone and the frogbit can go back in.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe swish the plant around in a bucket to remove as much duckweed as possible before planting?

I had some duckweed for a bit, got it with my frogbit. just a tiny bit for a couple months, then it boomed and took over the surface.

What I found to work best for me was to take a small deli container (cup, whatever), and just skim water off the surface, the duckweed would go right in. This also worked pretty well for getting duckweed hiding behind power cords and such.

Try and get out as much as you can in one sitting, and then check once or twice a day for a week or so, skimming off the stragglers. eventually you should be able to clear them out. I haven't seen any duckweed in months, I think I eliminated it completely from my tank.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
since a few people are recommending taking time to skim it out. if you don't have other floating plants you could always add a skimmer. like the eheim skim350 look at it on youtube.

Play at the edge of your comfort zone
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Algae Grower

One thing I have noticed about duckweed is interesting;

I had a 20G Long sitting dry for months. There were some "dead" dried up duck weeds stuck to the glass, and I figured since they were mostly dried up white / dead looking that they would not be a problem.

I filled the tank with water and sand, cleaned the glass and just figured "let the filter grab that debris".

Wrong. The duckweed apparently had dormant seedlings and I noticed there were a couple new duck weeds growing, that eventually began to multiply as we all know duck weed do.

I dont have a problem with duck weed, you just have to scoop it out once a month or every other month. It cleans things out of the water almost like a natural filter but if you let it accumulate it will choke the water at the surface level which is not good. When this happens there is no gas exchange at the surface robbing the water in your tank of oxygen -- leading to fish and shrimp deaths.

And on another note, I did not intentionally put duckweed in my tanks. I ordered a large chunk of Dwarf Hairgrass from AZGardens and when I put the path of grass in my tank, literally hundreds maybe thousands of duckweeds began to float to the top. This was about two years ago when I was relatively dumb to planted tanks and I thought to myself "AWESOME! Look at all these hairgrass seeds".

Wrong. That stuff was duckweed!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode