First true attempt for a planted tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
First true attempt for a planted tank.

Hey all, I have been going through this forum for about a month or so now and finally decided to join up. This is a relatively new hobby to me as I've only been keeping fish for around a year and a half. My girlfriend dragged me into it ever since she got a job at the lfs. Anyways, over the weekend I purchased a cheap 10 gallon combo kit and a bag of eco-complete. I have a 2X13 watt AHsupply kit coming this week to replace the 15 watt bulb that the fixture came with. I'm just looking for some constructive criticism about my choices so far so any comments are welcome.
Current plants:

1 small amazon sword - I know it will get too big, but I will transfer it to my 55g when my girlfriend and I can afford the proper equipment.

Some type of anubias that I guess you can say was growing in my little 1gallon eclipse

2 large bunches of water sprite

2 bunches of red ludwigia

4 bunches of moneywort

I am only using locally available plants right now to keep it simple and cheaper so I got the best of what I could find.
I don't have any fish yet because I don't know my ammonia or nitrite levels...going to get my water tested on my way to work today. I plan on adding 7 von rio tetras and an oto from my 55 gallon once the tank has cycled and then picking up some rcs later on down the road.
I used a flourish tab for my sword and dosed about 1ml of flourish today as well. I'm looking to stay away from CO2 for a little bit until I get the hang of things, I may use some natural aquarium vital, but I don't know if it's even worth it.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Remember, pictures!

As for the AHSupply, if you got the ones with reflectors, then you can get lots of light into the tank efficiently. If not, then you still can get plenty of light in, just not at the efficiency as with the reflectors.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
i would recommend to stay away from amazon swords. they get very big. i had to ditch them in my 75 gallon because they were too big. i say stick with anubias or java fern.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright so I added my tetras, an oto, and 2 ghost shrimp from other tanks. Here are some pics of my current set up. I know the amazon is out of place...it's not permanent.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks great so far, remember that sword will grow BIG.

Raise your water level about half an inch so it is behind the tank frame and there is no annoying water line.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Roc

PTrader: (43/100%)
If you ever want plants that arn't available localy I can highly recommend the swap and shop section of this forum, there are tons of great deals but you have to go often as things disappear quickly.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thx for the advice iroc. I started checking it out the swap and shop after posting the update last time actually. Already seen a ton of good deals in there.

Not much new with the tank except now I have to battle ick. The von rio's caught it from the german rams I added to my 55 before I moved the rio's to my 10. I just raise the temp to 85 and add Aquari-sol. It's worked for me in the past.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode