Bolivian Ram Fry - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Bolivian Ram Fry

So my bolivian rams had babies. Exciting and so far its alot of work. There first batch was eaten by other tankmakes. Then a few days later I noticed small fry swimming around. Exciting!!!! Went out and got a 10 gallon tank, some black sand, and a clip on led. Already had filter and heater.

So next thing was to get the fry out. (Keep in mind this all took place the monday before thanksgiving) I could not find a turkey baster anywhere . So decided to net them out one by one. It took about an hour, but was able to get all 13 fry out. Transfered fry and mom to 10 gallon tank. Its been about a week, and all fry are good and swimming around. These guys are tiny, and I am seeing growth. Also I count them daily to make sure Im not losing any. Theres a piece of driftwood with java moss from my 40 gallon breeder, and a marimo ball. Im also feeding Hikari first bites 3 to 4 times a day. I tried baby brine shrimp, but they dont seem to be eating them.

Does anyone have any experience raising and feeding baby Bolivian Ram Fry??? Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by andrewq; 04-20-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: to many pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'd say keep feeding them First Bites until they are large enough to eat crushed flake food.

I'm curious, what are your water parameters? I'd like to breed some fish but I have high pH water.

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wish I knew, but unfortunately Ive never tested for ph. It was never my intention to breed my bolivians, and it kinda just happened. My tank is heavily planted, and temps at 80 degrees. I believe the warm water encourages breeding. Its funny because I had a 29 gallon with a couple angelfish, and as soon as I put them in the 40 gallon they started breeding. I guess thats why they call it a 40 gallon breeder tank. Im keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping this goes well.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also I was considering getting about 25 nano marimo balls. I think it would look neat. A nano marimo ball carpet, lol.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I haven't bred mine, but looks like they may soon
But I read they take about 5 months to reach an inch, so get ready for a long ride

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
125 journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

When is it ok to remove the mom? Does it increase the frys chance of survival with her there? The mom seems fine, shes eating like normal. It does seem though like shes a little bored.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm going through the same process in my work tank. Started a thread about it here.

My Tanks:

-
-
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just an update. Fry have almost doubled in size, and no deaths. Still feeding about three times a day. Mom is still in the tank with them, and Im considering moving her back to my 40 gallon. Any opinions on moving the mom out of fry tank???

My 40b has two bolivian ram pairs, and the other pair is acting very protective of an area they apparently claimed. I havent seen any eggs or wigglers, but i assume they are there or will be there shortly Would it be ok to move the new fry to my already existing fry tank. Or will the two different batches fight?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My 2 other rams had babies! . I only saw maybe 2 fry swimming around, and my tanks heavily planted. So gonna try and catch them!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/93%)
I would say that it is fine to move mom back to main tank now, im sure dad is getting lonely.

-Jacklyn
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fry are growing quickly, and no deaths so far. Parents just had more babies, and I noticed the fry are swimming. Staying close to the parents. Would it be ok to put the new batch in the existing fry tank. The existing are a little over half an inch. The new fry are probably a few days old. Will it be ok since there different sizes to put together.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Congratulations, this is very cool
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Congratulations!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
awesome, I have 4 bolivians in my 55g, I'm sure I have 2 males and 2 females I'm just not sure which are which yet. I think they are in the process of bonding, I've had some lip locking and flashing over the last two weeks. It seems my two potential females stick together on one side and my males to the other. I say this b/c the two with the longer tail fins are sticking together and the other two are smaller with shorter tails. I've read conflicting information on which is actually a male and female.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Planted Member

Very cool indeed !

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode