Requesting advice on a new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Requesting advice on a new tank

I'm in the process of information gathering for a new tank... please bear with me as I'm fairly new to this and really don't have much of a clue. I understand the basics... but that's about it.

This tank... I don't care how long it takes, but I want it perfect. In short, I'd like either an iwagumi style like so:

(credit to Wonderboy for inspiration)

or something like like this with numerous pieces of small driftwood:

(credit to unirdna for inspiration as well)

Tank wise:
-I'd like to stay in the 36" long department. I find it's the perfect length... I just want something deeper than 12" (and by deeper, I mean from front to back). 18" would be... Zen. I really don't mind how tall it is, just as long as it's not too tall where I'd need to heavily light it to get proper illumination at the bottom. I saw an All-Glass 40g breeder tank that fit these dimensions... but I've yet to see people use that tank. Any reason why not? If it's not appropriate, then what could my other options be?

-I'd be building my own stand for cost reasons. I've got an "inside man" at the local lumber yard!

-I want a damn good planting substrate. SMS, ADA Amazonia, or Eco-Complete. Must be black or close to it. Any suggestions comparing the three?
(edit: after poking around in the substrate forum, I noticed mention of AquariumPlants.com own 5 gallon bucket of substrate. Any feedback on that?)

-Fish wise would be two large schools of Harlequin Rasboras and/or Black Neon Tetras. If I only choose, one, the other would most likely be Cardinal Tetras. Algae control would be left to shrimp... as to what kind... I have no clue.

-Plantwise... well, I've yet to get there. I'd be running pressurized co2 and high powered lighting. I want it to look natural of course and I don't want it to look like I threw in a bunch of random plants... which I fear my current 38g tank is looking like. One thing is for sure... I love the look of Dwarf Hairgrass. Any suggestions as to what plant type works well with that?

-Filtration would be canister-type, but I've got *no* clue as to what kind/brand/size to get. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I've heard good things about Rena's XP series but otherwise, I'm clueless!

Unless I'm missing something huge, that's about it. Any answers will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all Brasky out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I hope you have a lot of money, a set up like either of the ones you mentioned probably cost 2,000-3,000 dollars, maybe more. If you've got the budget, go for it! Make sure to read up on fertilizers. If you're going to have CO2 and high powered lighting, you will need fertilizers, or you will get algae. As for canisters, the most common brands I see on this forum are Filstar (Rena), Fluval, and Eheim. Some people say aquariumplants.com substrate is very similar to SMS. I'm planning to use SMS on my new tank, and I've read that it is very light. Some people advise mixing some similar grain-sized sand in with it to give it some holding power. Eco-complete is great, but not cheap. AS is probably the best, and the price reflects that. Pretty stones like the one in that picture (probably sieryu) are also expensive. Manzanita wood (the stuff in the other picture) is also pretty expensive. My advice is to see how much your budget allows for; we have an expensive hobby, and you want some really baller stuff.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode