liquid fertilizer question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
liquid fertilizer question

I know almost everyone here who uses liquid fertilizers uses seachem products, but I cant obtain their products locally. I use a PlantGRO, which I am sure is a hagen product. Anyway the chelated iron fertilizer has magnesium, boron, copper nitrate and of course chelated iron in it. I was wondering if plants even use magnesium and boron and isn't copper harmful to plants? I was also wondering about chelated iron, everyone here seems to say it is overdosed and not necassary. Is this plant fertilizer worth using, or is it merely snake oil?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Plants need magnesium, boron, and copper in very small amounts. I think PlantGRO works, but probably isn't the best thing.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Hi 888

Have you used fertfriend before? It's a dosing calculator that has Nutrafin, Kent, Seachem, Tropica and other liquid ferts in it. You can use it for comparison of these products. You can see the contents and the %ages too.

I hope this will help you.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks Left C that is defiantly a handy calculator, especially for a noob like me. So now I know approximately how much nutrients I am adding and how much is already in my tank. How can I calculate what I need in my tank?

Forgive me for being so dense on the subject of ferts, but this has been a bit of a stumbling block for me. I have my tank off to a decent start with DIY CO2 and 2WPG, but I am confused on the fertilizer issue. I know the amount of ferts I should be adding depends largely on water volume, plant density, water chemistry and bioload. But I don't know what I should be shooting for ppm wise...

I probably sound like an idiot, so I think I will try to find a planted tank for dummies guide...

BTW does anyone use Kent plant supplement or Kent pro plant? It looks like it may be better than what I am using and I know I can buy it locally.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenleaf888 View Post
Thanks Left C that is defiantly a handy calculator, especially for a noob like me. So now I know approximately how much nutrients I am adding and how much is already in my tank. How can I calculate what I need in my tank?
Your very welcome 888.

You should usually follow the manufacturer's recommendations if you have regular lighting and no CO2 enrichment. If you have better lighting and CO2, you should dose more.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode