- Ozelot Sword - Bare Root
- Radican Sword
-Dwarf Sagittaria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/96%)
your specs are confusing, you should probably clear it up a little.

i'm guessing you specs are..

40gal
with 112watts with 4 light, 2 are actinic and 2 are 5/50??

well the 2 actinic are useless, so don't even bother and as for the other lights i really don' know what 5/50 means so my guess is you might just barely have enough light. what's the dept of the tank?

as for the plants you listed, they're pretty easy to take care of so you won't need to dose but a good subtract will always help. The regular gravel probably won't be sufficient because you have a lot plants that are root feeders, if you're looking for cheap look up Turface Mvp or Soil Master Select.

Turface Mvp sent me a 50lbs bag for a sample, i didn't pay shipping either.

HTH
Chuong
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
no i have 112 x 4, 2 are atinic though so i guess don't count those. and i ment 50/50s, what ones sohuld i drop if i don't want to change gravel

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
ok heres what im seeing you have a 40 gallon tank ? you have 112 watts x 4 which brings you to 448 watts ? thats a tab bit of light over a 40 gallon with that much co2 and ferts are a must no exceptions..... You could grow all the plants you listed with just one 112 watt 50 50 bulb but even sitll without co2 you could get into some algae problems. you could get away with all the plants mention with just one bulb as i said but the swords need some type of root food as guitar dude said you can get 50 pound bags of Soil master select which sould be sufficent for under 20 bucks including tax usually it can be found at your local hardware shop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happy fishing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:41 PM

40g breeders are 36" long and 36" VHO bulbs are rated at 95w each.
48" VHO bulbs are rated at 110w each.

it seems that you have lighting for a reef tank. the actinics are nice looking, but only usefull in certain salt water reef applications. the 50/50 bulbs are a mixed spectrum of daylight and actinic. again, very nice looking, and they will grow plants, but they are not ideal.

if your goal was a standard freshwater display, those lights would look great. however, if the goal is growing plants you will want to go with daylight bulbs with a spectrum of 5500K - 1000k for best results.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Plans not really a focus, and yeah theyre form old reef tank. WShat plants would live in the tank?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

anyone know?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Planted Member

All of those Echinodorus will get far too large for a 40g. I'd cut it back to one or two and have some bigger tank plans in your future.

Are you using CO2? If you are, then you can grow whatever you want with that amount of light.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

going to leave the light, unsure if i want to just dose excel or diy co2, any suffestions
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Depends on what you're stocking for fauna. Some things (inverts in particular) are very sensitive to Excel. Most of those swords will probably get too big, you can keep them until they do. Man, I wish I had that light set up. You could switch out the bulbs and you'd be rocking.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 04:46 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by importfan878 View Post
going to leave the light, unsure if i want to just dose excel or diy co2, any suffestions
What does that mean... your going to use all 4 VHO's? If so your probably asking for a disaster unless you really know what you are doing and dosing co2 and micro/macro nutrients appropriately.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy loaches View Post
What does that mean...

That covers every post in this thread by ImportFan. My Crystal Ball is in the shop for repairs and, sadly, I messed around and missed that Mind Reading Course. So, if this is all the effort that IF can muster to help resolve his own issue(s)--Good Luck People.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
That covers every post in this thread by ImportFan. My Crystal Ball is in the shop for repairs and, sadly, I messed around and missed that Mind Reading Course. So, if this is all the effort that IF can muster to help resolve his own issue(s)--Good Luck People.
That's what I was thinking.

~ Linda ~

How many watts do I need to make my swimming pool a high light tank?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I didn't see it posted above when reading, but the bulbs you have with that set up are likely going to generate a lot of heat, algea and not much for plants. The 50/50s don't have much in the way of par, most the sprecturm falls in areas not really needed for a planted tank and the acticnics are not that great for plants. I also feel that with the T5 revolution the only thing VHOs are good for anymore is the punch the 03 actinics add for corals... Not planted tanks. The heat vs output just isn't worth it.

Now if you were to swap the 2 acticnics out for reef sun bulbs or something around the 6500-10K mark, you could likely keep just about anything you want plantwise... But IMO you will be reaching such a high par that without dosing Co2 etc, you are asking for trouble. JMO though I'm more of a reef guy than a planted tank guy anymore...

Currently tankless for the first time in 24 years... Getting the itch again

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode