Hello All... I have a few questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi everyone! I just found this site and I'm glad I did.

First some background... I've been keeping fish for a few years. I have a 55 gal saltwater reef, African cichlid tank and a freshwater angel tank.

I have a 54 corner bowfront that I'm going to convert to my first planted tank. The issues with this tank is that it's a deeper than the standard 55 and it's 21 inches high. I'd like to get 1 light fixture and I guess I would need about 150 watts+. The glass top is exactly 30' wide and highest PC fixture I've seen is 2X65. Will using 130 watts on this tank limit what plants I can keep? I'm not looking for exotic plants but I would like a nice variety.

Also, I was thinking about Discus but they seem hard to keep and require different conditions than most plants.

So, what are your suggestions for this tank?

Thank in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 02:15 AM
Planted Member

That lighting with that tank should put you somewhere in the 2-2.5 wpg lighting rang, which is enough to grow plants, without sucking down CO2 and creating algae blooms. Ideal is supposedly 3 wpg, but i think most people settle for about 2.5 wpg. I havent kept discus so i wouldnt know if those would work or not, i would suggest if that is the fish you want, get plants that work in the discus' prefered pH and temperature. Discus seem to be a favorite probably because they are good looking fish. I do beleive they may be a little difficult though. I would say that the lighting should be more than enough to sustain anubias and similar lower light plants, and probably just enough to get away with for some more of the higher light plants. go to the planted tank homepage, and then to the plants section for specific info on plants.https://www.plantedtank.net/plants.html
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Is there a better light fixture than the 2X65 watt? I've looked around and it seem that the better lighting options are in 36" long lights and above.

VHO maybe?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Go over to www.ahsupply.com If your tank is 36" then look at the 96 watt kits.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I would personally set a deep tank like this up with a 1x175w CSL MH Retro Kit W/ 5500k Lamp for $139. Metal Halid lights are better than PC's at penetrating deep tanks and would give you a wide range of flexibility of plant choices. And it wouldn't cost you much more than the PC light setup, either.

- Sam P -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Go over to www.ahsupply.com If your tank is 36" then look at the 96 watt kits.
I checked them out beore. My problem is my tank is 30" wide.

GulfCoastAquarian
That looks like a good idea. What would I use as an enclosure?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I would build an enclosure out of wood and paint the inside white. If you aren't exactly a master carpenter (like me), just use fiberboard (cheap!) and paint it black. That's the easiest way to make it look sharp.

- Sam P -

Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 03:35 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakken
I checked them out before. My problem is my tank is 30" wide.
I just bought a 56 gallon 'column' tank, it is 30 w, 18 d, 24 tall. I did a hybrid of lighting, I got the AHsupply 2x96 watt kit (no bulbs) and bought a couple 96 watt quad light bulbs from Hellolights. I cut the AH supply reflector in half and hung the lights over the tank with the endcaps at the back of the canopy. Now I have 96 watts over each side of the tank, if the hair grass takes off then I know it worked.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode