Discuss? Planted? 29 gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok I have many tanks from saltwater to fresh. I would like to setup a 29gallon planted tank for a pair od discuss and a few tetras. I will be using the DIY co2 system in the article section. What type of substrate is best? I was thinking sand. Can a pair of discuss and 8 serpea tetras live to there full extent in a 29 gallon? I was also thinking a small HOB and a sponge filter. Does this sound adiquet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I wouldn't keep 2 discus in a 29 gallon tank. Also, with a HOB and a sponge filter you will not be getting any co2 into the water, all the surface movement will get rid of the co2 you're injecting. Some people use sand, but it will need a substrate additive to give your plants some food. I would recommend eco-complete. How much light were you planning on using and what kind of plants did you want to use?

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

I was going to go for regular florecent hoods that come woth the tanks. And Some easy plants for a begginer as I have never kept live plants. No discuss at all in a 29?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
To keep discus, you should have a large tank (at least 18" deep) with hiding places (plants). They also require very clean water. None of that can be achieved in a 29 gal tank.

The fluorescent strips that come with tanks are barely enough to see the fish. To grow plants, you need at least around 2 Watts/gallon, so 60 Watts or more. The usual strips with 29 gal tanks feature a 20 Watt bulb. Doesn't make plants happy, although there are a few (Anubias, Java Fern, some Crypts, the like) that would survive for a while.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 12:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
To keep discus, you should have a large tank (at least 18" deep) with hiding places (plants). They also require very clean water. None of that can be achieved in a 29 gal tank.
Whatdo you mean none of that can be achieved in a 29 gal tank? Are you saying my water is not very clean?!

The regular lights that come with the tank are unsifficient for plants as wasser said. I would recommend a PC fixture with a 65 or 55 watt bulb for you.

George

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 03:34 AM
Planted Member

The folks at www.simplydiscus.com might disagree on the 29g thing... You might give them a try for a different perspective and some more information.

Ian
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 05:06 AM

I raise many discus myself. 29 gallon is not too small for a pair of discus but I wouldn't plant it. Discus is very sensitive towards water parameters and cleanliness. They actually enjoy very often water changes. It's harder to maintain a constant water parameter in a smaller planted tank than in a bigger tank. Any fluctuations on pH, ammonia etc will easily stress them out. Stress in discus keeping is a serious problem (you all discus keepers should know well). They will starve themselves and sometimes won't even recover.

So, the smaller the tank, the more frequent cleaning you have to do ; plus continous watch on water parameters if it's planted.
With bigger discus tank, you'll have less hectic cleaning schedule (BUT still more often than regular fish tank) and may get by with small fluctuations.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 01:31 AM

[quote="Wasserpest"]To keep discus, you should have a large tank (at least 18" deep) with hiding places (plants). They also require very clean water. None of that can be achieved in a 29 gal tank..Not true....Most breeder tanks are 29 gallon tanks.This is my third batch of snakeskins and when they pair up,It's the perfect tank size
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 02:19 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Would you keep Discus in a 29G normally (when they are not breeding)?

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 11:19 PM

Mike,

Typically I would when they pair up. Discus do need lots of clean water(My water bill is ridiculus).I have 7 adults getting ready to pair up.4 out of the seven are doing there ritual shaking and shuttering towards each other.I let them spawn at least once with the other discus around.It seems to make them better parents, Once this process takes place I will seperate them into their respected 29 gallon holding tanks with their spawning cones.usually takes between 2to 6 months of time once i seperate them from the pack. I have had buddies that have had them pair up in a 29 gallon planted tank.With only 3 discus.Between 5-8 is a usually a safe # to get one pair.Right now they are in a Bare Bottom 55 gallon Tank. The only thing that is in there is a huge hunk of Malaygian(sp?) driftwood and a huge anubias tied to it.It can take quite some time for them to pair up but once it does,It is very rewarding(more mental than financial).
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 11:35 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I didn't mean to imply that a 29gal tank can not have very clean water :lol:

If you are BREEDING discus, there is no question in my mind that you can keep them successfully in a 29 gal tank. I personally think they deserve a little more space, but oh well.

If you have experience with Oscars and have seen those beautiful discus pictures, and now you are ready to try it yourself, then a 29 gal tank will not be a good start.

That's what I meant :mrgreen:

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 01:53 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Thanks for the explanation!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 09:10 PM

Discus need a 55 or larger to live in. Surely they can be bred in a 29gallon...but they shouldn't live there permanently.

I mean, people typically breed in their beds...but they don't live there (unless morbidly obese...and then it's unlikely they are breeding much)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
I mean, people typically breed in their beds...
Not married people.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 10:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

lol at rex, always right there with the nasty old truth

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode