Quick question about setting up... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quick question about setting up...

So, I've got a 90 gallon tank which I'm setting up.

Already, in the tank, I've got around 80 kilo's of substrate... now, I've found these awesome looking rocks but heres the deal. They are granite, therefore they weigh a lot... I have designed the tank in a way( not put together yet ) way by having one big rock pile and two smaller ones... The big rock pile will be on the right side of the tank and the two smaller ones on the left / middle. The big rock pile consists of 4 big peices of rock... ranging from 30 pounds to about 50 pounds... I'd say that alltogether the rocks weigh about 160- 180 pounds ( thats just the right side ). The smaller rock setups will weight no more than 50 pound each. Would this setup be fine for the tank? The tank is a Fluval Osaka, rounded corners, has a peice of glass in the middle of the top to hold the parallel length panes together and the bottom is reinforced with additional strips of glasson the bottom pane.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 10:29 PM

Always a good idea to reinforce a stand with some 2x4s when dealing with a heavy hardscape. A sheet of styrofoam directly uder the tank will also help.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Okay, cool, I'm guessing a thing sheet of styro... say like 1/2 inch? The tank sits on a stand, reinforcing the stand in terms of adding additional wood I presume? How about the actual fish tank though, will it be capable of handling such one sided weight?

Thanks

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Although I am not familiar with Fluval aquariums, you likely will have no issues. For a 90 gallon tank, I assume you have 1/2 inch glass on the bottom or equivalent. If you browse various forums, you can often see people standing in their larger aquariums during setup as shown here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...us-tank-2.html

Obviously this puts a lot of pressure on a small area, but glass is fairly strong. What generally is taboo is jolts to the glass from dropping objects, etc. Be sure to be careful when placing rocks.

Regarding the styrofoam, it is generally a good idea to use. Make sure the spot is flat and level prior to placement. Most glass tanks have an outer support around the perimeter that rests on the stand, and the inner glass bottom is raised somewhat. If this is true with yours, make sure you add the styrofoam under the entire framed support, and not just under the raised glass bottom portion, or it will cause strain and premature tank failure. (The glass bottom will be supporting all the weight, and the outer perimeter is what will be sitting on the stand)

Many thicknesses of styrofoam have been used successfully. 1/2" Will work fine as you mentioned. For what it's worth, I prefer using much thinner excercise / yoga mats under mine after I have a very flat and level surface. They are made of a material that is similar to dense neoprene.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode