Not enough co2 ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not enough co2 ?

Hi,

I've been searching for the past week to know why some of my plants are losing their lower leaves. They continue to grow quite fast but it's not very nice to look at.

It's a 32gals tank with 68w of light, ferts, tabs and co2. I have noticed people saying that plants losing lower leaves is due to a lack of co2. It is possible in my tank since it's DIY and that my kh level is only 3 according to test kit(by the way is there a way to safely raise it without changing other parameters?). That would give me around 10 ppm of co2 for a ph of 6.9.

Should I add another bottle of co2 to compensate or should I raise the kh?

The parameters for the tank are: ph 6.8 to 7, kh 3, Nitrates 10-20, no nitrites or ammonia, iron 1, phosphate 2ish. I am dosing npk and using flourish plant tabs.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Nix
Algae Grower

Hi there,

Your plant's symptomes are more usal if there is too little light and the plants lower leaves don't get enough, so they drop them. I never heared about it coming from lack of Co2.

About your KH: if you'd rise it, all you will get is a higher pH. The Co2 will
not rise, you can only have as much Co2 as you pump into the tank: Adding another bottle might be the answer for you, or changing the formula. I wouldn't change the KH as 3 is a very fine number to have in a tropical tank.

Sorry about my English.

Good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

More light, more co2...
It's going to be quite stuffed in there.

Should I then consider on moving those plants in direct light as well because some are half hidden by bigger ones.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Nix
Algae Grower

I'm not sure you do have to little light. In naked numbers it's quite enough.
But there are a lot of factors beside wattage. Color, reflectors etc., the efficiency of the lamp type.

What kind of plants drop their leaves? Stem plants I guess. May it be they overshadow themselves? Perhaps they are planted to near to each other?
Or in a bunch even?

Do you have a photo, perhaps?

Co2. You could use a bigger bottle, I don't know what you use, but a 1,5 g container would be an option. Therefore just one diffusor, or what ever you use and no additional equipment needed inside the tank. Apropos: how do you introduce the Co2 into the water? Maybe that could be optimized as well. Or you take a deep breath and step up to pressurized...

But this is all fishing in the dark, I'm sorry.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode