Low-Light Plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Low-Light Plants?

Hello,

I currently have Windelov Java Fern and Narrow Java Fern. Are there any other types of low-light plants that I can anchor to driftwood/rocks instead of needing to plant them in my substrate? BTW, my substrate is pool filter sand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 03:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
any of the mosses you can tie to driftwood. also anubias,
Hydrocotyle japan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Play at the edge of your comfort zone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink4miss View Post
any of the mosses you can tie to driftwood. also anubias,
Hydrocotyle japan
Any particular type of anubias? Also, I didn't know hydrocotyle japan can be attached to driftwood and such; interesting!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 04:37 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadijohn View Post
Any particular type of anubias? Also, I didn't know hydrocotyle japan can be attached to driftwood and such; interesting!
the anubias nana is nice. I'm using the hydrocotyle as the top for a tree. it not even tied to it its just sitting on the driftwood branches. i just switched my sand to soil and have to tweak things, my betta likes to climb inside the hydrocotyle plant to sleep at the tree top and at times i have to adjust it, but i don't want to tie it and have him get stuck inside the plant. . took that photo the other day recently added dwarf hair grass and a small bunch of staurogyne repens and removed the riccia that i made the mistake of dipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1178.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	241393  

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I personally like s. repens, any crypt or sword variety. If it's a larger tank you can easily make a carpet from chain sword. I'd suggest for any crypt or sword to use root tabs though.

Any anubias roots to wood. Nana petite is great for smaller setups. Moss is also good. (mini) pellia and subswassertang (I think i spelled that wrong LOL) is also good. I"m not sure about it's rooting capabilities but I've seen it on wood. Fissidens is also a good choice. I've seen that one dry started. I hope to get some of that soon myself (wink wink nudge nudge to anyone who has some)

I'll pm you a link to one that I use.

Aurie

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 04:46 AM
Planted Member

i use the clear sewing thread to attach things. its cheap and lasts forever and disappears when you tie plants to rocks or driftwood

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it... Nice tank shot!

Where did you get that clear sewing thread?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadijohn View Post
Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it... Nice tank shot!

Where did you get that clear sewing thread?
Thank you

most craft or sewing stores should have it but i went on ebay and bought it threw there . it was 3 something and that was with shipping.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 06:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have the following doing fine in a very low tech setup, living off fish waste and liq ferts: cabomba, ozelot sword, wisteria

my substrate is 3-4mm gravel only, no added ferts in the substrate as such.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
+1 for anubias- there are quite a few varieties of different sizes and shapes...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for the help! I now have 3 anubias, a few windelov java ferns and narrow leaf java ferns in my 36g bow front.

I'll get some pics soon
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think you can also grow bolbitis attached to hardscape, but it's been a while, so I'm not certain.

As to clear thread, I believe that's just thin monofilament nylon, same as fishing line, just a different purpose.

I've had pretty good results using both superglue and rubberbands. the superglue is whitish, but usually gets overgrown (especially by moss). The rubber bands start to decay and fall off after a month or so, and by then the plant is usually anchored to whatever. Not pretty, but easy enough to remove once they fall off/fall apart, and pretty easy to apply (much easier then tying thread, IMO...)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I think you can also grow bolbitis attached to hardscape, but it's been a while, so I'm not certain.

As to clear thread, I believe that's just thin monofilament nylon, same as fishing line, just a different purpose.

I've had pretty good results using both superglue and rubberbands. the superglue is whitish, but usually gets overgrown (especially by moss). The rubber bands start to decay and fall off after a month or so, and by then the plant is usually anchored to whatever. Not pretty, but easy enough to remove once they fall off/fall apart, and pretty easy to apply (much easier then tying thread, IMO...)
Bolbitis will more then happily attach itself to rocks and wood. I don't tend to bother with tying things down, just shove them in a crack and let them grab hold. Black cotton thread however, is a common choice. It will disintegrate over time, but usually you have enough time for the plants to root in first.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink4miss View Post
the anubias nana is nice. I'm using the hydrocotyle as the top for a tree. it not even tied to it its just sitting on the driftwood branches. i just switched my sand to soil and have to tweak things, my betta likes to climb inside the hydrocotyle plant to sleep at the tree top and at times i have to adjust it, but i don't want to tie it and have him get stuck inside the plant. . took that photo the other day recently added dwarf hair grass and a small bunch of staurogyne repens and removed the riccia that i made the mistake of dipping.

In the unlikely event that nobody has told you this lately - that is one beautiful betta!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWaters View Post
In the unlikely event that nobody has told you this lately - that is one beautiful betta!
Thank you! his name is Florenz he's from a breeder that sells on ebay

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode