Fry grow-out tank suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fry grow-out tank suggestions

Tonight I setup a fry grow-out tank for my swordtails. I started my current planted tank with 6 swordtails (3 female, 3 male), and currently have the 6 adults and about 15 juveniles in my 29. The grow-out tank is 10 gallons, bare-bottom with a sponge filter (cycled by placing it in my HOB filter for a week). It is decorated with a plastic castle, the plastic tube from my sponge filter (too tall for tank), and most of the Hornwort from the 29.

The current inhabitants of the 10g are 1 swordtail fry (hitchhiked in with the Hornwort), and snail hitchhikers. The temperature is 76 degrees.

My questions:
The only lighting I have available is a desk lamp with a 60 watt bulb. Will this be good enough to grow the Hornwort (or keep it alive)?

How to grow algae in the tank? Will this help the fry to eat?

How do you tell when a female swordtail is about to give birth? I have two females who are looking pretty fat right now.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The incandescent bulb would probably keep the hornwort alive in a 10g, and you would also probably end up with a lot of algae due to (likely) improper spectrum. Ime, for livebearers, I always just fed the fry ground up flakes and other freeze-dried foods and they were fine. The fry are fairly big by the time the mother gives birth. I think they'd be large enough to eat baby brine shrimp (frozen or whatever) from the get-go.

As far as I know, you will see a dark spot near the female's vent, you may even see little fry eyes when she is ready to give birth. Are the males following her closely?

About the light, if it were me, I would pick up a 15w 6500k spiral CFL at walmart that fits your desk lamp. It would grow the hornwort much better and, to me, would keep the tank much healthier. Hornwort is a great oxygenator, but if it isn't growing well, it isn't benefiting very much. I think GE makes them.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks. The two females I was talking about are looking pretty close to giving birth, as in less than a week. One of them is solid black so its hard to tell how close she is. The other one is white and red so it's easier to tell with her. The males aren't following them around any closer than normal.

Edit: Tonight I saw one of my males chasing the two pregnant females and a few others. I also saw two juveniles rubbing against each other. Are these examples of breeding behavior?

The Fraternity of Dirt #144

Last edited by WestHaven; 12-02-2013 at 02:24 AM. Reason: update

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode