Sump/Refugee ideas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sump/Refugee ideas

Hi folks. Just wanted to see if anyone could post some creative things they do with there sumps as far as utilizing the sump/refugee as a secondary tank.

Let me know and post some pics

Jarod
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon low tech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29 Gallon High Tech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
Here is the sump I had built. I tried to make the design as flexible and open ended as possible - suitable for both planted and salt setups.

My plan for this planted setup it to have shrimp call chamber 4 home. It's the biggest volume available and protected from the rest of the system. The pass through 3 is blocked with foam to keep livestock and plants from escaping, even when the pumps are off. Chamber 2 is free of equipment and the lowest water level in the sump, being the return chamber. The return pump is located in chamber 1 though, and plumbed to pull water through the bulkheads from chamber 2. The drain line empties into 1.

Chamber 4 is fed water from a line that branches off the return line. It allows me to keep the return pump from being restricted but still allows me to throttle down the return rate by diverting water that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sump.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	241337  

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Impressive man... wish you were my neighbor. Right now there is nothing that can keep livestock from being sucked up into my pump and I wish I had something similiar to your #4 chamber.. I guess some silicone and glass wouldnt be that difficult. Thinking of turning my pump into a sponge filter.

Jarod
I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area and always looking to connect with other planted tank enthusiasts.

75 Gallon low tech

29 Gallon High Tech

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anastasisariel View Post
Impressive man... wish you were my neighbor. Right now there is nothing that can keep livestock from being sucked up into my pump and I wish I had something similiar to your #4 chamber.. I guess some silicone and glass wouldnt be that difficult. Thinking of turning my pump into a sponge filter.

not sure how your pump is set up, but when i ran SW tanks and used sumps i would sometimes use a pre-filter sponge to cover the pump inlet. is that a possibility for you?

I loved making sumps, it was one of my favorite parts of the reef tank.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm going to figure out some kind of sump pre-filter sponge tomorrow. I think I need some PVP pipe with holes drilled and a good size sponge to make it work... once that happens and my tank is couple more weeks old I'll add some RCS to it.

Jarod

75 Gallon low tech

29 Gallon High Tech
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 03:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anastasisariel View Post
I'm going to figure out some kind of sump pre-filter sponge tomorrow. I think I need some PVP pipe with holes drilled and a good size sponge to make it work... once that happens and my tank is couple more weeks old I'll add some RCS to it.
i've drilled holes in pvc for a similar reason, worked well. what is the brand/model of the pump? do you have a pic of the set up?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 03:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
How much GPH are you pushing through the sump? I'd be more concerned about that, as making a sponge filter for the pump intake should be easy enough.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I use poret foam to divide the sump and my pump (mag 5) came with a foam prefilter.

I used to raise RCS in the sump.
Now i have guppy fry and rainbow fish fry being raised in the sump.
I just provide some light 24 hours a day and feed them 2x a day.

They seem to eat detritus that floats in the water column happily enough and the rainbow fish fry are growing fast.

20L My Other Tank: OEBT Shrimp
40B Inlaws Tank: 2 goldfish
75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did the PVC idea that is in this forum. Was pretty easy and I also used pieces of sponge to block my overflow box (some smaller fish and ghost shrimp were ending up in my sump)..seems to be working great. Cant wait to utilize this space.

Jarod

75 Gallon low tech

29 Gallon High Tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode