New aquatic plant(well, at least to me submersed) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
New aquatic plant(well, at least to me submersed)

I've seen Monkey flower all over CA.
I've never seen it growing permantly submersed in gorgeous carpets in a clear water spring fed river until Yesterday.

I will post pictures later, but the plant is gorgeous and has a very pretty flower.
Also, new shots of gaint Potamogeton and Crow's foot!!
Awesome alpine habitats! Even found some aquatic bacteria in 240F boiling lakes.

I was mainly up around Lassen's National park area.
Anything to get away from 110F weather

The money flower and Crow's foot and others are really dramatic and gorgeous in these spots.

Really really beautiful sites.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Moe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)
Quit teasing, pictures please! Sounds like a nice trip.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

As promised:
The new weed:

Not sure if it'll grow weell in our tanks this way, but.........I'e seen it all over in very different temps terrestrially.

Pretty flower too.
Really a noticable bright lime green in the rivers.

and

There is crow's foot in there also.

You can see the large yellow emergent stands growing out of the water, but other patches that are growing underwater and they are permanent.

This is one of the few places in CA where the water supply is constant.
It's also constant temp and CO2.

Spring fed.

Here's the waterfall, about 129ft total, so it's a lot of lush tropical like foliage and many waterfalls rather than the typical monster CA waterfalls like Yosemite etc.

Temp is 42-48F year round.
Brrrrr.......

Enjoy

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This pondweed does very well in our tanks, I call it Sierra Giant pondweed.
Beautiful plant and good option to replace E azurea.
Does well in tropical temps, however, it's found in cool alpine lakes that freeze each winter at about 6000-7000ft.

And a close up of a runner that looks like it in the tank:

We likely ought to bring this plant into the trade, it's a very pretty, but rather large plant, much like an Aponogeton.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

And some crow's foot at about 6000 to 7500ft.

Yes, life's rough studying plants in alpine meadows full of wildflowers.
I will not talk about the mosquitos from Hell though

Here's the same plant in lake formed by the worst of water vermin, beavers

There's also Willow moss growing well in there also.

Lassen's national park is one of the least visited, but one of the best IME. It has a lot to offer and very few people.

As you can clearly see, it has a lot of beautiful aquatic plant habitats and species. Each 1-2 hour drive radius in CA seems to have a unique set of habitats.

So while it's not normally considered a source, clearly there are many aquatic plants here if you know where to look.

Oh, and there's mountains, rivers, swimming holes, flowers, critters, trout, big trees, waterfalls etc nearby also

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
I like beavers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Slightly off topic, but your pictures are amazing! What camera do you use?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Beautiful waterfall. Is that in Lassen N.P.? Haven't been there for a long time.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
Great pictures, beautiful location.

Tom, are you collecting any of the plants for further study or for distribution? Did you collect any moss, if you did I would be interested in some if at all possible.
By the way, I would be hard pressed to not take any back with me for my personal use. I’m sure you get tempted as well.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Ooooo! I just made a "Waterfalls" screensaver. Would you mind if I added that one to my collection?

Back to weeds, there's some sort of lush low habit green carpety thing growing in a spring about 15 miles from me (place called "Springville" of all things.) I've always assumed the stuff would need much cooler temperatures than what is in my tank so never bothered trying to collect any. If I can remember to take me camera with me the next time I'm up that way, I'll try to get a good picture.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbman7 View Post
I like beavers
Buck toothed rats:-) ?
They essentially made this particular lake.
They have done serious damage in South America to the wetlands there as they where introduced.

They created a lot of lakes and wetlands historically here as well, but we killed them, took over the habitat etc.

They can cause massive changes in ecosystems.
Sort of like us

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakin View Post
Slightly off topic, but your pictures are amazing! What camera do you use?
I use a Canon powershot, nothing special.
I think I will get a Canon rebel xti soon though. I never liked the Nikon D100 and the darn thing was heavy too.

I like a smaller point and shoot for most trips, but it'd be nice to have a really sharp lens and super wide angles as well as better macro. The Canon powershot S3 is pretty good and can be had for about 249$ new.
Super macro, pretty good image stabilizer, not bad optics, 12x optical zoom.
6 mega pixs etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
"Buck toothed rats:-) ? . . "
No argument from me on that one. We moved to our present location from what was my parent's property in the "country" (debateable) which had a smallish, stream-fed lake of about 3 acres or so. I had a running battle with a beaver which apparently did not like the fact that there was water going over the spillway. He'd build a dam across the spillway to stop the "leak" in "his" pond effectively raising the lake level about a foot and flooding the banks. I'd tear the dam down every morning, he'd build it every night.

I was about ready to spend the night down there with a shotgun when we moved. Somebody else's problem now .

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post

They can cause massive changes in ecosystems.
Sort of like us

Regards,
Tom Barr

yep, but disturbances in the environment like forming of beaver-dams, forest-fires etc. is good for the environment. Since it increases the natural diversity of that area. I'm sure you know that i just thought it was important too ad.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
Those are cool plants, they would probally do well in a backyard pond, say like mine!! lol, JK.
Mosquitos huh?, try my backyard!! our mosquitos seem to love the extra seasoning from OFF!

that big pondweed looks alot like Apongeton that we use in ponds, may be the same, the surface leaves are like lillies right, only elongated? i mean, do they stick on the surface?

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode