Is it okay to add Salt to a planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello,

I've read on many sites that adding salt to freshwater aquariums aids in the overall health in fish, including to help prevent common diseases such as Ick. The amount varies, anywhere from 1 tablespoon for every 5, 10, or 15 gallons.

My question is, is it okay to add salt to a planted tank, and if so, how much? My friend has a bag of "Instant Ocean" salt he uses for his saltwater tank... would that be better to use, or just use the plain freshwater salt without all the "micro elements" the Instant Ocean salt has?

Advice is MUCH appreciated!

Bill

MY SPECS:
I have a 20 gallon long, with an Eheim Pro II filtration, and a small CO2 exchanger inside the tank. I have some Zebra Danio's, Cardinal Tetras, and some Silver Mollies, along with an assortment of 5 different types of plants, placed in a 50/50 mix of Flourite, and Eco-Complete substrate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 11:22 PM

If you're using salt for the health of your Mollies, you might try 1 tablespoon for every 5gal. I used that proportion for keeping some goldfish in a pair of 20gal tanks and haven't varied that formula since moving them out into a bigger tank. One of these 20's now has some rainbow fish, platies, rams, a bumblebee goby, and an assortment of plants. Only the anubias seem to be struggling with this amount of salt.
If all your tank inhabitants seem healthy, why not hold off on the salt until one of your fish fall ill and then use it only in the "hospital" tank? I was also told that if salt was desired, then use the "Instant Ocean" mix, as you mentioned, for the micro-elements. Check, however, with the mix for any buffering agents that may raise the pH. Hope that helps.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Hey man,

Thanks for the reply. Your right, no use always using a high salt content until it's really necessary. No use putting my live plants in jeopardy either. So for now, the "Instant Ocean" will be used just to hatch my brine shrimp, which works extremely well.

Bill

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 01:01 PM

I have a 75g tank now which is an African Rift lake setup. I use "african cichlid salt" mix in the water, and it doesn't seem to be killing my plants. Right now I have vals, crypts, java ferns, and amazon swords in the tank. They're all doing fine, and most of them are reproducing as well.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to salito718
most plants do not tolarate salt, some can withstand it, but they genarally tend to do better in a sald free enviroment, now epsom salt is a whole other thing, it is basically magnesium and one of the requirements for plant growth.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode