Aponogeton Ulvaceus - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aponogeton Ulvaceus

I bought an aponogeton ulvaceus bulb at my lfs last saturday. There was already a tiny bit (about a quarter of an inch) of green coming out of the bulb and there were 3 green stems. 6 days later (today) it has grown to 10 different stem/leaves and the tallest one is about 12 inches high. These things grow fast..... I bought the bulb dry. The packet says it takes about 1-2 weeks to grow some stem/leaves, and by 3-5 weeks they should be taller. Well i guess i skipped 5 weeks cause it has grown so much. Nutrient levels were really high during cycling so i guess these things grow fast with ammonia. Just wanted to tell you about my plant. 108 watts of T5 LINEAR (not those money wasting power compacts) over a 75 gallon tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:15 PM

It grew so fast because it has the nutrients stored in the tuber at its base. It will suck on that source until it can take nutrients in from leaves and roots that it will grow. This species also tends to go dormant(though I have seen some not) at least once a year like it would do in the wild. During that time don't be alarmed it is only conserving/storing nutrients until the next spring growth spurt.

Keep a touch on the tuber if it becomes completely soft and mushy feeling when pinched lightly it has used up the nutrients there and will possibly begin to die. Put a single wafer of nutrients within a couple inches of the root system and keep the nutrients going for the leaves and you might not have a dormant time at all.

Some people remove this type of plant to dry quarters like the place you bought it from did, and then put it mack into water when the time is right. I have never done this to dte though myself.

Check here for more info: http://alecto.bittwiddlers.com/fish/Tropica/86.htm

Congrats on it growing leaves right away!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

thanks for that bit of general knowledge, so if the plant does die after the tuber is soft and mushy, i shouldnt take it out and let it store nutrients? By those wafers of nutrients do you mean root tabs like flourish root tabs or something else?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musho3210 View Post
thanks for that bit of general knowledge, so if the plant does die after the tuber is soft and mushy, i shouldnt take it out and let it store nutrients? By those wafers of nutrients do you mean root tabs like flourish root tabs or something else?
I do not believe that after the plant dies your going to get it to soak up nutrients.

Yes Root tabs or small pieces of Jobes Plant sticks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

i meant the plant looking like its dead.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musho3210 View Post
i meant the plant looking like its dead.
oh.

I have kept some in water even after the tuber has shriveled up almost completely and they still came back with good water conditions and the correct ferts for the roots to absorb. But most just fail to come back at all after that point.

I suggest just keep it in the water until it is gone completely and all leaves are gone then you are sure you plant is totally dead.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode