CO2 in the wild - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 in the wild

Everytime I watch a nature show about a lake/river, I never see aquatic plants like our tanks. Occasionally I see the plants we keep in a marsh/swamp, but mostly floaters like water lettuce and water hyacinth.

Unless I see pics from information about invasive species, I do not see lush areas of alternanthera or hygrophila anywhere else.

I have read that Co2 is higher in some bodies of water because of groundwater, but other than that, most water bodies are relatively devoid of plant life.

Frogs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
You are right in that it would be difficult to find a groomed lush underwater garden in most natural aquatic systems. It's funny how some try to do a "biotope tank" with plants from a particular continent, in a way that you would never find them in nature.

On the other hand, if you look at the right places...
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...-pantanal.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
now THAT....is cool. If I had more space in my hood, i can see why some may add actinics to their tanks.

What I find very interesting is the KH and hardness values. They are MUCH higher than many of our tanks. Even from hard water around my area with a pH of 9 or more, i only have about a 4-5 KH rating (the last time I checked the tank, it could be more now). Another curious thing, is that the pH is much higher than what I see for a planted tank. Many are below 7.

Is it possible plants are using mostly biogenic decalcifiation? There would be a constant supply from minerals flowing in the stream.

But CO2 is definitely higher than Fish only tanks with 2-3 ppm of CO2.

Frogs!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode