Not Sure 7 9.72%
Male 55 76.39%
Female 10 13.89%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just wanted to get an idea on the ratio of women to men that are doing planted tanks with some form of CO2... Either DIY or pressurized.

After visiting my LFS and telling the sales person (a woman) that I had upgraded my lighting and added a CO2 system to my tank, I got a lecture about how men just can't leave things alone... How she has a tank that is a beatuful planted tank with no extra ferts or CO2.

I certainly don't want to start a sex war... Actually I am hoping to find out that there are ladies that are doing CO2 and fertilization. My wife really has no interest in all of the workings of our planted tank, but is certainly supportive of my attempts.

My first DIY Planted Tank:
75 Gallons
4x & 2x ODNO Flourescent Lighting (2-6500k, 1-5000k, 1 P&A)
Homebuilt Pressurized CO2 Injection
Rena XP3 Filtration
Still using my original gravel substrate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 12:19 AM

I think your first question should be: Are you a men or a women and then: do you use CO2 or not?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am not just interested in the sex of a person, and as an aside whether they are doing a CO2 system... I am particularly interested in whether CO2 and chemical fertilization is consider a "man's toy of excess" as it was parenthetically referred to by my LFS sales person.

I must say that it is a true disappointment that there has been 74 views of this post and not a single response to the poll. I am genuinely interested in the topic at hand, and am upset by the lack of response to my question.

I have observed hundreds of posts as a "guest" of this site for several months. Much of the work that I have put into my planted tank project has been the result of this site. I have taken the site very seriously and I would hope that my question would be considered seriously. If someone would take the time to read the post, I would think that it should be a very insignificant time investment to check male or female.

For those that got lost in my sense of humor (i.e. the third option in the poll), I am sorry!

My first DIY Planted Tank:
75 Gallons
4x & 2x ODNO Flourescent Lighting (2-6500k, 1-5000k, 1 P&A)
Homebuilt Pressurized CO2 Injection
Rena XP3 Filtration
Still using my original gravel substrate
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
That's what you get for trying to be funny...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to ginnie5
there's gotta be more of us than me doing co2!!

Edited to add:
I'm kinda worried about those 4 unsure votes. It's real easy to tell if you're male or female. :lol:
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 02:55 PM

Tinkering is much more a "male" thing. But, women are becoming more and more adept at using the tools required for tinkering, and so it becomes easier.

Not a lot of women are all that comfortable with powertools and electricity. But, as it becomes easier and easier to purchase the equipment, rather than to have to build it yourself. I think that more women become comfortable with the gadgets that the CO2 supplemented tank comes with.

My own perspective is from seeing my kids, one of each, the girl is happiest when she has followed instructions and done something correctly, or quickly, or elegantly, or for less money, but the end is the goal. The boy is actually more concerned with the process, he takes more joy in doing something in a novel way, improving on it somehow. His room is a collection of bits and pieces of things that may or may not be finished. Hers was a collection of things done. I can't say that I see the same drivers at work here, for gender isn't always apparent and individual differences are actually greater than the gender effects, with age and experience being very important.

The gadgetry of CO2 is daunting, but it is easy for the not-gadgt-inclined to get started by purchasing Excell, then a Hagen, then either DIY or straight to pressurized, as one sees the results of CO2 in the tank.

Personally, I didn't think it was possible to grow plants in my water based on how the plants I first bought fell apart in my tank without CO2 but recently I have seen tanks that grow OK without it. I have not been able to do that, the algae takes over.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to ginnie5
well I guess I'm just odd then....:-) I canreally scare the guys at the big orange box..I have my own power tools and know how to use them. I'm raising a whole new breed of women too. I have 4 daughters. They all enjoy tinkering with things :-) When I was young I was always taking things apart.
As a teen when ever my grandma's oil furnace pilot light blew out I was the one to relight it. Until I was married I changed the oil in my car myself. I just can't see paying someone to do something I can do myself. I also like the feeling of self suffiency I get. One day I dream of moving to the boonies...50 acres in the middle of nowhere, off the grid and being completely self sufficient. Course I'll have to have a generator that burns wood or solar panels for the fish tank :-)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklock
I am not just interested in the sex of a person, and as an aside whether they are doing a CO2 system...
But look at your question in the poll? And if this is very serious, why do you have an option to select "not sure"?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
As soon as I had the CO2 bubble ladder in the tank, Bushy Nose, the male Ancistrus, checked it out, took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together, made sure all the connections were tight, verified the path of the bubbles, measured their sizes and calculated the overall efficiency. His female counterpart didn't care at all, busy cleaning the house. What does that tell me?

Nothing :mrgreen:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 10:49 PM

Who says girls don't like tools? I've got my own powertools too. I actually gave my brother my drill when I bought myself a better one (along with a jig saw).
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Actually, your poll will tell you very little. WHat you need are 4 options:

Male-- use CO2
Male-- dont use CO2
emale-- use CO2
Female-- dont use CO2

heck for a numbers game
suppose PT had 1000 guys and 100 girls on the forum. 10% of the guys reply confirming they use CO2 and likewise 75% of the girls reply.

While 100 guys is numerically more than 75 girls, the proportion of girls using CO2 is 7.5 times MORE than the guys

(replace girl with: female, woman, lady etc etc if needs be )

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 01:43 AM

I think that the computer literate types are going to be more high tech in the fish tank thatn non computer types, so this medium has preselected for technical types.

Then this particular forum is a technical based fourm, people who are not interested in the gadgets probably have already left, so this forum has preselected for gadget liking types.

The fish tanks that I have seen at the local fish club were non CO2 planted tanks, and I don't thnk the owners were internet fourm types either.

I think that you need a larger sample than from just this fourm.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 03:26 AM

The other question should be did the males read the directions for putting together the CO2 system for the tank. I know I didn't. Who needs directions. Guys don't need directions! :lol:

It's an interesting question though. Do guys tend to be more techy then ladies? I dunno. Guess it depends on the person really.

Far as that lady at the shop - Was she pulling your chain and having some fun or serious when she said that?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 01:12 PM

I'm a girly girl. I don't like to mess with all of that stuff. I hate to have to put things together or figure out what goes with what. Messing with CO2 is just not my thing. It is just too intimidating. I have 1 plant in each of my 29 gals. I add ferts, but otherwise nothing else. It gave me heebee geebees just retro fitting lights on my hood. Power tools? The closest thing I have is a screwdriver that runs on batteries and a Dremel that is still in the box, cause I could not figure out how to put the cutting blade on it when I needed it.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 05:57 PM

OK, I voted male... but how are you going to count this one? My wife and I are both running CO2 on our tank. She's been just as much a part of the setup and upkeep of this tank as I have.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode