13 3 5.77%
14 3 5.77%
15 4 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Red face how young can a tank keeper be?

I have an above average intelligence, dexterous, maturity, 10 year old nephew who has been very interested in keeping fish for years, so it's not a passing fancy. His previous tanks were all failures because his advice came from idiot LPS clerks, and his clueless parents. At some point I would like to teach him everything about keeping a low tech planted tank, work with him on selecting equipment, plants, fish, then closely supervise the first Month of cycling. After that, he'll be on his own with water changes, vacuuming, filter media cleaning, water quality, and plant and fish health monitoring. So at what age do you think I should proceed and why?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Start now! I have a newphew who is 6 and he has a 5g low light planted(with Java Fern and moss and some anubias species) and he cleans and his mom helps dose ferts(just nitrates). He has a mental disorder as well.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 04:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
I think I got my first goldfish at the State Fair when I was either 10 or 11. Within a month, I had a 10 gallon tank stocked with various fish and was 100% responsible for it, with the exception of the financial aspect. I say, if you're there to show him the ropes, he'll do just fine!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 06:36 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to slickwillislim
I think it totally depends on the individual. I know full grown adults I wouldn't trust a low tech planted tank with.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
It also depends on how active you want to be with the child. I had my first aquarium at age 5 when my dad brought home a baby RES turtle and a 10g tank. I kept care of the setup pretty autonomously, but definitely relied on my father for the details of how to keep the plants in the gravel and the fish and turtle well fed and healthy.

If you are willing to help a kid learn about this wide field, go for it! Don't worry about the age, if the child wants to learn, they will, and if they don't they won't. It's definitely one of the best learning experiences one can have. There's chemistry, botany, biology, geology, and design principles all rolled in to one hobby.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 08:43 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwillislim View Post
I think it totally depends on the individual. I know full grown adults I wouldn't trust a low tech planted tank with.
LOL, that is so true

Sounds to me like your nephew is lucky to have you as a relative, and will do just fine if you start now
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
As difficult as it sounds parental influence is permanent, you must teach not only the child but also the parents. (children while young assume mom and dad know everything)
I have a 12 year old that has been caring for a tank since he was 9, unfortunately he lost interest in his 70 gallon but still continues to take care of a low light planted nano. He stated the large tank was to hard and the nano is much easier.
I feel if a child is taught and with guidance can care for a tank. Here's a hint they love live bearers plus they can get friends interested and sell the babies to them.
GOOD LUCK!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 12:35 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
I got my first tank when I was 10 and have always had at least one tank since. I've had lots of hobbies come and go. This is the only one I've stayed with.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

6 or 7, I had tanks at that age, simple tank with nothing in it but a goldfish, no gravel no nothing, no filter. The fish lived for many years, I think 10 is far too safe.

Children aren't stupid.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 03:25 PM

I agree to start as early as you can. I have memories of sitting with my dad talking about guppy tails and colors and guppy babies from when I was a little girl, I don't know how old but young anyways. I will always remember that experience sitting with my dad in front of the fish tank, watching the female guppies in the breeder trap waiting to see the babies come.

Kara
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 03:27 PM

Im 14 and i have a 75 gallon planted tank and a 20 gallon reef that only I take care of since my mom doesnt know anything about fish, she just thinks that they look cool. I started the hobby in december last year with a 20 gallon petsmart looking tank (plastic decor, sunken ships, blue gravel) and here i am now with natural tanks with sand and driftwood and plants. Ive been looked down upon many times due to my age but there have been many times people like me because of my knowledge but still this young. Luckily my lfs fall in the like part but some people on other forums dont like me since they think i am young i shouldnt be allowed to help other people. And they think i shouldnt be allowed to take care of fish since i am too young. There was a lfs somewhere that banned kids under 15 from buying fish from them without parental consent, but i still see stupid adults have bowls and say "can i get a goldfish here?" and the store says yes....
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I had my first tank (yes, planted) with guppies when I was 6. I traded the pair of guppies for some of my stamps. Lost both the stamps and not too long after the guppies. Got stuck with the hobby though.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I started when I was ten.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwillislim View Post
i agree....if he is mature and responsible....go for it

30 gallon pita...102watts..pressurized co2 ...jbj regulator...eco-complete substrate...xp-2... inline c-02 reactor...turbo twist uv
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:12 PM

I say as early as they can read and use the internet

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode