Termite Fumigation and fish tank?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to yingxuebailang Send a message via MSN to yingxuebailang
Termite Fumigation and fish tank??

What should I do with my fish tank during termite fumigation? Has anyone has any prior experience with that? Do I have to remove everything from the tank? Or can I just bag the tank for 2 days? Does the gas kills fish and plants or is it ok to leave the plants in the tank and just take out the fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
Although I have no experience with this I would assume the gas would diffuse into the water and kill your fish. You can try asking the fumigation company as I would assume they should know something like that.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 11:55 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
i wouldnt risk it, take the fish out, and the plants, and the filter media. After the fungimation change all your water out, rinse the substrate, let the filter go on for 24 hours with activated carbon before returning livestock. Of course this whole time the livestock should be in a quarantine tank not in there plastic bags.....

This is a just in case scenario though....

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Maybe you can wrap them with big garbage bags. You would have to seal them, with heat. And maybe run a hose from the bag to outside the house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (34/100%)
The last time we had fumigation done i just covered my open top tank with a bed sheet for the whole day. had no casualties at all including flora and fauna. Just take care to pull the bed sheet all the way to the floor. Just my 2C.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 05:12 AM

careful with sealing the tank shut, may have problems with gas exchange, maybe run an airpump from the outside into the tank.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 06:16 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Had mine done years ago not for termites but other pests. Taped heavy plastic to the tanks and I had a bunch then. My Discus got thru it in my 55. Orkin man came once a month for a year and all was OK.
Gene
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Just seal the tanks with trash bags, making sure there is enough air in the bag. I did it with five tanks over a weekend. My plants weren't looking in tip top shape but everything was fine.

Filstar Pimp #84
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I gotta get my house done in the near future......
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had mine done, but I left the lights on and the heat buildup was incredible. Luckily, I turned it all off before my fish cooked, but it got up above 90 degrees.

So uhm, remember to turn your lights off before you cover the tanks.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Algae Grower

Vikane fumigant is minimally water soluble. With the tank properly sealed in theory there will be no dissolved vikane getting into the tank water. I am not sure however how soluble the Chloropicrin warning agent is, but as I recall it to is not esp soluble. If you decide to leave the fish I would cover the top of the tank with the nylofume bags the fumigator can supply, tape securely completely around the edge of the bag to produce a complete seal. At one time there was a label requirement that fish be removed, I think that has been removed from the label.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm having my house fumigated with Vikane this weekend and I'm covering all the tanks with trash bags and run an air pump to tanks from outside the tent/house. Hope all the fishes and shrimps are Ok. I'll update when it's over.

Knowledge is power. Sharing knowledge is....freedom
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
AquaVu, how did it sort out? I am going to have fumigation in a few weeks, and I'd like to know your experience. Thanks!
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
The gas kills EVERYTHING, I attempted to seal a tank off with 3 layers of saran wrap, bad idea, since they were air permeable I guess. It needs to be absolutely air tight, to be safe I'd move your tanks outside. All the plants, all the baby birds in the attic and within 10 feet of the house, all the bugs and roaches, grass ... EVERYTHING touched by Vikane gas died.

current:

| retired:

|
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Unfortunately that will be impossible for me. I have 4 tanks, and some of them pretty big. I have read on other threads, people have sealed tanks successfully and survived the 48 hours fumigation...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode