Can Neons and Cardinals Co-Exist? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can Neons and Cardinals Co-Exist?

Im working on getting a school of neons going in my tank. The LFS mistakingly put in a cardinal in with my neons. I didnt realize it until I had already released them in the tank. Watching them however reveals generally that the neons pick on the lone cardinal. They will chase after him. Is this common for a cardinal not be accepted in a school of neons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
my neons couldnt have cared less about the cardinals i had in the tank

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Interesting...quite a few of the neons chase this lone cardinal...he looks healthy and is eating well. I know that fish can pick and kill their own when they are sick, but this cardinal doesnt look sick at all..very active..

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
I got a cardinal by mistake also but its been 1 year and everything is fine They did chase it around when i first got him but they do it less. I got him with my neons but they died 2 from my filter and 3 unknown so i added the bloodfin tetras after that.

- Fishlover
My Tanks :
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Fish generally school with only their own species. If you look at cories, you'll see that they'll tend to shoal only with the same type of cory (which is why getting 6 different types of cories to form a mini-shoal isn't a good idea).

I'm not surprised that the cardinal is picked on given the situation. Either donate the cardinal to someone who already has a few, or buy three or four more cardinals so they can band up and not be subject to any bullying from the neons.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
fish are racists
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 03:12 AM

Quote:
fish are racists
All animals, including man, are more comfortable with their own kind and discriminate against oddballs. Natural selection at work. Darwin is a real sumbeach.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGee View Post
fish are racists
lol
asdfl;jkas;dfk character limit

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

To get the cardinal out, Im sure it would have to be a tear down of the tank..I have to many plants growing in, and so that option doesnt sound to appealing. I bought the last batch of neons today, which he didnt have any cardinals either. He said he may get some in on Thursday but who knows...they are the only LFS that carries them, except for petsmart, and I havent had to good of luck with neons/cardinals in the past at petsmart.. I will check and see if I can get a small school of cardinals so he isnt so picked on.

Who would have thought that neons were so aggressive?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 04:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have 15 cardinals and 15 neons in my 250G; I have yet to see a school movement which was not mixed neon and cardinals. Hoo to racism in fishes . I think the school is for protection and fishes of one size or a common different movement pattern school together for protection from their common enemy. The schools becoming more disintegrated when they feel safe.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
You could try getting a few more cardinals. That would at least make your cardinal feel more comfortable.
Yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to get fish out of your planted tank. Sometimes I just feel like harpooning the fish to get it out.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Algae Grower

You sure that since the fish are new they are not establishing a pecking order?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 10:36 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Fish will swim in schools with other different fish. Safety in numbers. I have seen clown loaches swim in a school with tiger barbs at the LFS. My angels and discus swim in schools at times. I have 3 different types of cories and they will swim in schools at times as well.

When I used to have neons and glowlight tetras, they also swam in a school as well.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:41 PM

If you want to catch him, do it at night. Darken the room as completely as possible and use a flashlight. My wife and I caught 25 cards that way in 30 minutes out of a 75 gallon. Cards are diurnal and evidently have poor night vision.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode