Sunlit Co2 Management - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sunlit Co2 Management

I have written a few times about my “incomparable” (that is how I named it) 250G sunlit- from top- aquarium. I reset it this year and it has been re-commissioned from 15 March 2007. The stats are it has 150W X 3 MH 10000K, 40W X 5 Florescent light to supplement sunlight, DIY CO2 from my Mad Hatter system which uses nearly 100 L DIY fluid, my recipe and can be shut off at night (more about it elsewhere when I get to finally stop tinkering with it), it filter system is UG, (wrote about my powered UG system which uses only 1/3 of the floor from the unplanted front before) the outputs are uprights ending in the rear corners with a bottom cutoff 1.5L pet-bottle which I use as my CO2 reactors.

Incomparable is a community tank (tetras-rainbows-barbs-kulhis totaling about160 fishes), planted with about 21 varieties of plants.

This is my first monsoon and I am having problems with my CO2 management with cloudy sky giving me a very variable light. Has someone faced similar problems and has some tips for me? I am new to CO2, experience starts from 15 March 2007.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 04:28 AM

Your using natural light to help with high lighting ?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbbudd View Post
Your using natural light to help with high lighting ?
Yes, thats right.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 02:58 PM

how much CO2 and how much ferts, you better be dosing A LOT or have algae problems
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

No algae problem after the first month or so. The plants grow well and force me to trim them every week. Using my own soil mix (lateritic clay under sand and lateritic nodules). No micros only NPKMg CaS.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I suggest you take the shift to pressurized CO2, it will save you more money in the long run even though it costs a lot at startup. CO2 fillups on pressurized will soon pay for itself after you compare it to the cost of sugar, yeast, etc.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 12:12 AM

I have never seen or heard of anyone having any luck with direct sun light eventualy once you start getting organics into the tank agae will take over
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:21 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalfish View Post
I suggest you take the shift to pressurized CO2, it will save you more money in the long run even though it costs a lot at startup. CO2 fillups on pressurized will soon pay for itself after you compare it to the cost of sugar, yeast, etc.
Although i would agree that pressurized is the way to go it certainly is not because of cost by any means. You can buy a huge bag of sugar and huge jar of yeast for less than $25 and that will last a year at least. And that is less than the cost to refill the CO2 cylinder once a year. Not to mention the cost of purchasing all the pressurized equipment.

James
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 08:30 PM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal to the Oil View Post
Although i would agree that pressurized is the way to go it certainly is not because of cost by any means. You can buy a huge bag of sugar and huge jar of yeast for less than $25 and that will last a year at least. And that is less than the cost to refill the CO2 cylinder once a year. Not to mention the cost of purchasing all the pressurized equipment.

James
id would disagree... co2 that comes out of a pressurized co2 canister is better than co2 and the other gases that come out of a diy co2 contraption. pressurized co2 is almost pure... almost no other gases present.

also, as fas as cost in concerned.. it might be cheaper to do DIY co2 on a small scale for a short while.. but once you figure out what it costs to fill a co2 cylinder, sugar and yeast seems to be pretty pricey. the initial cost of pressurized co2 is expensive, but the recurring costs are really really cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 10:15 PM

you can go for a fully automated system for like 400 dollars (those are like plug and play) or go with a more basic one for like 150 dollars. They dont have to be expensive.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalfish View Post
I did not go for pressurised system because of 2 reasons.

1. I am living at a place where the equipment has to be bought from other places (added cost of transportation) and I was forced to keep 2 cylinders (the other for refilling at 130 KM away)

2. The main decider was not the above but my indeciveness whether to continue with CO2 or not. This way I do not have any costly equipment to get rid of at a place where this hobby is at its infancy.

If I finally decide to continue with CO2, no doubt the pressurised system is the one to go with as it would provide much easier and more accurate control over the CO2 application.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode