Overnight deaths??????? Help me figure this out - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Roc

PTrader: (43/100%)
Overnight deaths??????? Help me figure this out

Yesterday I got a shipment of plants in, I added them to the tank. I noticed that the temp in the tank was a little low so I raised it up a little bit. Everything seemed great I went to bed

I just woke up and found 1 clown loach dead, the Angel laying on the sand breathing very heavy and another loach staying toward the top of the water.

I removed the dead loach, but when I went to remove the angel it swam away. not it is again laying on it's side.

The angel is at least 6 years old, and the 2 loaches that were effected (1 by death) are the 2 other oldest fish in the tank.

What could this be, and what should I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
It wasnt my shipment was it?

One month in.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Roc

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenbarb View Post
It wasnt my shipment was it?
No And honestly I don't think it was the plants I just think that it's a good idea to give as many details as possible.

I just noticed that the other clown loach that is being effected has lost almost all of it's coloring ( I say other thats effected becuase I have a younger clown loach in this tank that seems fine)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 04:05 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have you done any ammonia/nitrate/ites tests? Did you do any waterchanges? Did the plants come with water and did you drop that water in the tank as well? Do you dose co2? is it pressurized?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 04:20 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
What type of substrate?

Possible with all the planting and substrate moving around you opened up some anerobic gas pockets.

Even a spike in ammonia or nitrites wouldn't kill the fish overnight.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 04:45 PM

and the spike in ammonia should be taken care of by the plants (if they are doing well)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Roc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMariner View Post
Have you done any ammonia/nitrate/ites tests? Did you do any waterchanges? Did the plants come with water and did you drop that water in the tank as well? Do you dose co2? is it pressurized?
I haven't done any test lately

I just did a 25% water change

The plants did not come with water

I currently use a DIY CO2 system

The angelfish seems to be doing much better the clown loach that was acting werid this morning is just hanging out wihich is fairly normal

I will just have to wait and see I think
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 09:07 PM

What is the temperature of the water? Did your heater get stuck "ON"?

I had that happen once and overnight the fish that survived the temperature raising were breathing hard and or laying on their sides also.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc View Post
Everything seemed great I went to bed
I'm assuming the lights in the aquarium were out.....? If so, what's the possibility that the new plants lowered the 02 level--considering plants use 02 at night? Maybe your 02 level was low, but acceptable---and the new plant mass crossed the line........

Just a Thought.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceH2O View Post
What type of substrate?

Possible with all the planting and substrate moving around you opened up some anerobic gas pockets.

Even a spike in ammonia or nitrites wouldn't kill the fish overnight.
I think it is the result of gas pocket too. Those PH3 and H2S are killers, a broken surface of the substrata invites escape of gasses trapped in the substrata and sometimes it happens later from the time the surface is broken. Either regularly break the surface of your substrata(like vacuuming it) or when you plant do it when you could have an aerator working.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 12:45 AM

this is why i love malaysian trumpet snails, especially since i use sand.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Roc

Ok after much thought and having the abilty to calm down a bit I think the death toll has stopped.

Since I moved the plants several of the places the Angel used to swim have been planted, and I think with her size she simply got stuck in some driftwood. The other "strange" acting clown loach seems to have been mearly sleeping (found this out after some reseach on the fish)

I did lose one clown loach and maybe it was from gas (although from what I read that is very unlikley) but things seems have stablized now so I feel much better.

To answer some of the previous posts:

the substrate is sand over florite

the lights were out.

I don't know about the 02 level, however by next weekend I will have a Rex Grigg CO2 set-up on this tank and will actually be able to control this type of thing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode