Bio Crash?? - Switch From HOB to XP3 Filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bio Crash?? - Switch From HOB to XP3 Filter

I have an established (6 months) 26g tank. I am upgrading from a Penguinn bio wheel to a Rena XP3 filter today and have concerns about crashing my bio filter. Any suggestions or no worries?

I currently have two Rite-Size filter cartridges in the Penguinn, I was wondering if I should cut the foam off and put it in one of the baskets of the XP3 or something.

I know the XP3 is a popular filter among the ranks here. Do most of you use the spraybar or nozzle? Any suggestions on how far below the waterline I should put the spraybar, and do I aim it staight out, angled down and away from the glass or I thought I read a thread on here where some aim it back towards the glass.

My aquarium is populated with both fish and plants. I want to make sure the O2 is sufficient but not outgas my precious C02 (DIY - 2 2L Bottles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
You could run both filters until the XP3 has enough bacteria in it to take over.

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I second the just use both filters for a while... There will be a lot of good stuff on that bio-wheel.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
When I went to a canister I just took all my old filter media from my HOB's and tossed them in the canister.

Never saw a cycle.

Filstar Pimp #84
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I recently did a similar switch. What I did was grab an old pair of stockings the wife was about to throw away, washed thoroughly and then cut one of the legs off.

Took the rite size filter completely apart and put everything but the plastic into the stocking. Used some fishing string to tie off both ends. Put all this into one of the media trays.

The bio-wheel was then mounted on 2 unused popsicle sticks. Adjusted the spray bar so that it made the bio-wheel rotate.

I experienced no mini-cycle at all. I did all this about 40 days ago. Soon, I will remove the bio-wheel and put it in the "get ready for a another tank" tank so it will still have some of its bacteria when needed.

I woke up one morning and realized my living room turned into a fish store!!! HELP!!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 04:44 PM

i use spray bar pointed at a 30 degree angle towards the back glass that it is closest too. It mixes well with water and air without making my floating hornwort go flying everywhere and without blowing my sand around.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for all the inputs. I didn't want to put my fish through a cycle. They've been very happy in their enviroment and didn't want to spoil their day!

I really want the HOB off the back of the tank so I think I will try putting all the media into one of the XP3 baskets. I may even disassemble the bio wheel and put the pleated material in there.

Glad I'm getting all these things figured out on my first tank. I have a 75g sitting empty on the stand and will certainly start that one out different than the first tank. As much as I hate to admit it..... this tank started out with all plastic plants and..... lower head in shame.... A castle.... and shall I dare say.... a treasure chest with an airline....ouch.....That hurts!

I'm pleased to say the plastic is gone, the castle has been turned over to the mortgage company and the treasure chest is a toddler toy. Replaced with plants rocks and wood. What a difference!

Thanks again!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 04:50 PM

did you start with blue gravel?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Actually.... a mix of off white, light blue and a slate color. Ugly!!

I changed the gravel but had not "gotten smart" on planted tank substrates yet so I replaced it with a nice natural looking gravel mix, believe it was called honey. Looked nice but obviously inert. I gradually mixed in a 20lb bag of Eco-Complete over a few weeks time. Still looks good and appears to have really helped the plant growth.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update - So Far So Good!

I have had the XP3 running since 6/30 with no ammonia or nitrites showing up. I actually disassembled the bio wheel pleats and the foam from the old HOB and put that in one of the baskets. They were pretty slippery, coated with some good stuff. I figure I'll probably remove them when I do a filter clean.

So, XP3 in my 26g bowfront. Certainly can't run it wide open. I like the fact I have flow adjustment either up or down. I may transfer to my 75g when I get it set up though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode