Serpentine Rock - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Serpentine Rock

I came across some green rocks that might look good in a nano tank I am in the process of building. If I have identified it correctly it is serpentine. Has anyone tried serpentine in a freshwater aquarium before? Trying to figure out what it is I have come across numerous possible compositions and I really can't tell which variety of it I have. For all I know the white streaks could be asbestos.

I am hoping someone might have some insight into this rock, so I don't have to go through the "put it in a bucket of water and watch the water parameters" routine.

If it's not OK for aquarium use the trip wasn't a total loss, I did find some granite that will look nice as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 07:56 PM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
is it serpentinite? if it is it should be ok. be sure to check with acid first, and possibly even do a copper or other heavy metal test a few weeks into setup, especially if you plan to use co2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Roc

PTrader: (43/100%)
Maybe a pic would help as lots of rocks are green

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
As requested here are pictures

The rocks are wet to show their colors. When dry they turn a dusty green and it is very hard to distinguish their features. Each rock is about the size of my fist. I have a couple others but these pictures are a good sampling. The grain ranges in size from probably medium to fine. Where there are large areas of green they feel almost like wax. The white/brown areas feel almost like granite.

I found all of these on a beach near Pt. Townsend, WA.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 07:01 PM
xanatizer

If it's waxy, it's serpentine. The white is probably quartz or, as you said, granite. I believe asbestos is retrieved through a heating process. Also, serpentine is the most common marker for mercury deposits. Amount present, if any, should be miniscule. I have a large chunk in my turtle tank, but mostly above water. I'm iffy about putting more in as substrate, as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode