My First Planted Tank Setup... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My First Planted Tank Setup...

Hey guys, I'm finally going to setup a planted tank. I've always wanted too, but never really went through with it. So I'm going to give it a shot and hopefully everything goes well. Here's a list of what I plan on using for equipment/plants/livestock:

Tank: 29g
Filter: Ehiem 2217
Heater: Visi-therm Stealth
Light: Coralife 30" 6700k 65w (will i need co2 with this much light?)

Fish: 10-Ember Tetra
6- Blue Tetra
1- Hummingbird Tetra
1- German Blue Ram

Plants: I'm thinking of going with azgarden.com. They have a South American Habitat plant package. It includeds the following plants:

8 Corkscrew Val
6 Jungle Val
3 medium Amazon Sword
1 medium Red Rubin Sword
2 Anacharis
3 Cabomba
3 Narrow-leaf Ludwigia
5 potted tennellus Chain Swords

Plus 2 bags of Seachem Flourite. What do you guys think of this setup? Am i missing anything? Should i change anything? Thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Welcome to PT!!

How about some CO2. I know pressurized can be cost prohibitive, but a DIY CO2 could really help you out here with growth. Possible supplement with Seachem Flourish liquid fertilizers to start you off, especially Flourish Excel.

Good starter plant list!!

BTW: to answer your question. As far as needing CO2 this is subject to debate since you are right about 2 watts per gallon, but I always reccomend it since its not hard to do. Plus you'll get better growth out of some of those plants even with just a DIY setup.

JMO though...to each his own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to footbeat Send a message via Yahoo to footbeat
If you haven't bought the tank yet, I might suggest getting something that has a width that has a whole number of feet. A 29g tank is 30" wide. The problem with this is that standard fluorescent lights are a few inches short of whole feet, i.e., 22" and 34" for 65w and 96w bulbs, so the lighting fixtures tend to be easily configured when they are whole feet long. When they are 30" wide, like the fixture you are looking at that has a 22" bulb, that leaves some space on the ends that doesn't give off light.

I have a similar setup, a 29g with a 65w JBJ Formosa, and this doesn't cause a problem for me. It just irks me slightly.

Eheim pimp Club Member #65

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Welcome to PT!!

How about some CO2. I know pressurized can be cost prohibitive, but a DIY CO2 could really help you out here with growth. Possible supplement with Seachem Flourish liquid fertilizers to start you off, especially Flourish Excel.

Good starter plant list!!

BTW: to answer your question. As far as needing CO2 this is subject to debate since you are right about 2 watts per gallon, but I always reccomend it since its not hard to do. Plus you'll get better growth out of some of those plants even with just a DIY setup.

JMO though...to each his own.
Thanks! I was actually planning on using Seachem Flourish as a fert. I Forgot to ask about ferts. So I'll dose with Flourish and excel. As far as CO2 goes, i don't know much about it. Seems complicated, i just never really looked into...I should start looking into it. Can i get away without using CO2 for now?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by footbeat View Post
If you haven't bought the tank yet, I might suggest getting something that has a width that has a whole number of feet. A 29g tank is 30" wide. The problem with this is that standard fluorescent lights are a few inches short of whole feet, i.e., 22" and 34" for 65w and 96w bulbs, so the lighting fixtures tend to be easily configured when they are whole feet long. When they are 30" wide, like the fixture you are looking at that has a 22" bulb, that leaves some space on the ends that doesn't give off light.

I have a similar setup, a 29g with a 65w JBJ Formosa, and this doesn't cause a problem for me. It just irks me slightly.
I see what you mean. I already have the tank. It's been sitting in my basement for about a year collecting dust, its practically brand new. I think it's a decent sized tank to start with...i don't want to do a larger tank right now, It's my first attempt at a planted tank. Thanks for the heads up
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Do some research on azgarden. For starters--they will charge You out-the-wazooooo for shipping. You won't find out until Afterwards! Read their "Terms and Policies". Plenty of complaints floating around--here and on the net generally.

For plants: the first stop should be here at the SNS.

I have a 29g with the CL 65w--I like it.

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
Do some research on azgarden. For starters--they will charge You out-the-wazooooo for shipping. You won't find out until Afterwards! Read their "Terms and Policies". Plenty of complaints floating around--here and on the net generally.

For plants: the first stop should be here at the SNS.

I have a 29g with the CL 65w--I like it.

HTH
I noticed that, they don't give you the shipping rate until after the order is placed It's just convenient that they have package for a 25-30g, makes it easy for a plant noob like me. I'll check out the SNS here. Thanks!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Hi Panos,

They ship "Live-Goods" Overnight--that includes plants! Definitely no need for that. Shipping of plant orders are often times ~$50--just for shipping. They don't pay the shipping--so they obviously don't care. But apparently aren't bright enough to realize that many buyers--do care!

You can request 2nd and 3rd day, but You will still get stiffed on shipping. And if they ship it out Overnight anyway--too bad for You!

If You bother to read their Terms and Policies--they have a section on CC Chargebacks---wonder why?

HTH

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
Hi Panos,

They ship "Live-Goods" Overnight--that includes plants! Definitely no need for that. Shipping of plant orders are often times ~$50--just for shipping. They don't pay the shipping--so they obviously don't care. But apparently aren't bright enough to realize that many buyers--do care!

You can request 2nd and 3rd day, but You will still get stiffed on shipping. And if they ship it out Overnight anyway--too bad for You!

If You bother to read their Terms and Policies--they have a section on CC Chargebacks---wonder why?

HTH
Thanks for letting me know. I'll shop around.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Step one...DIY CO2. DO NOT BE AFRAID! this is alot easier than you think!

read up a bit on it first...get a handle on some things and what is happening. great place to start.... http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html and http://rexgrigg.com/<br /> <br /> ...s/co2.html</a>

Any questions...just spill em out!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Step one...DIY CO2. DO NOT BE AFRAID! this is alot easier than you think!

read up a bit on it first...get a handle on some things and what is happening. great place to start.... http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html and http://rexgrigg.com/<br /> <br /> ...s/co2.html</a>

Any questions...just spill em out!
Thanks man! I'll check it out.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 11:14 PM

it might be better if you get just 1 big school of tetras rather than 2 smaller ones. there will be more activity and happier fish. Plus it looks nice. JMO
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musho3210 View Post
it might be better if you get just 1 big school of tetras rather than 2 smaller ones. there will be more activity and happier fish. Plus it looks nice. JMO
That sounds like a good idea, maybe i'll do something like that...thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode