Buying a CO2 Diffusers: Pros and cons - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Buying a CO2 Diffusers: Pros and cons

hi all- i am planning on a diy co2 setup for my 20 long. what is the best co2 diffueser out there?
i have heard of the hagen ladder and it looks great, but have heard some bad things about them on the forums. what concerns me is that the co2 would not be circulated without a powerhead of some sort.
i like the looks of this one, but wonder if anyone else has used it:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113779

red sea is a candidate as well. is there little system any good or is the powerhead junk? ive never heard of a red sea powerhead so it looks fishy (yuck, yuck!).
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113779

finally, what about a simple delivery system like a rena fine bubble air stone at the end of the airline beneath a powerhead? would that be like noisy due to the bubbles being churned up and broken by the impeller? it sounds good to just put it beneath a circulation piece, filter or water pump, but the tank is at the foot of my bed and so noise is kinda an issue!

those are the ideas circulating in my head at the moment. certainly, the fancy double membrane is attractive as it looks like a solution, but the red sea looks good as well. either way, from what i ahve gathered online, the use of a circulation pump in the form of a filter or powerhead is more effective at spreading the co2 throughout the tanks versus the conventional methods. thats why i am leaning towards the powerhead and membrane equipment over the popular hagen ladder. lastly, are there any diy delivery ssytems that i am not aware of? i know of rex grigg's delivery system of course, but lack the tools to build such a piece.
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Use a sweetwater pore airstone beneath the outflow of a powerhead/filter....or have it going into the intake of your filter.

Or get an ADA/AquaticMagic diffuser. Sometimes DIY CO2 will have a problem producing the pressure for those though.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 03:31 AM

if possible get a powerhead, get a wooden airstone that are for protien skimmers, run the airstone under the powerhead intake. It should give you a good diffusion. Or run it into your filter......

I think its the same idea epic fish had.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

i like those ideas. would the bubble from the airstone cause any sort of noise as they travel thru the impeller of a powerhead?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 05:14 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
With my DIY CO2 i used a NURAFIN ladder diffuser. It worked wonders and doubles as a bubble counter. DIY CO2 setups can have trouble with any back pressure which can be created by many of the common diffusers used with pressurized CO2. I would highly recommend this as your cheapest AND BEST option. Besically your CO2 bubbles slowly rise up the ladder getting smaller as they diffuse and once they reach the top they are all but totally dissolved. Only runs about $10 or so.

Loyal
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Just for My .02, do a search on Membrane diffusors.
I had one before I found PT. Not worth it IMO.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
Just for My .02, do a search on Membrane diffusors.
I had one before I found PT. Not worth it IMO.
what is PT? i sorta think the double membrane is a bit too pricey for my budget anyway.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
PT = Planted Tank. This forum.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen View Post
what is PT? i sorta think the double membrane is a bit too pricey for my budget anyway.
LOL, nevermind, pt= this website!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal to the Oil View Post
With my DIY CO2 i used a NURAFIN ladder diffuser. It worked wonders and doubles as a bubble counter. DIY CO2 setups can have trouble with any back pressure which can be created by many of the common diffusers used with pressurized CO2. I would highly recommend this as your cheapest AND BEST option. Besically your CO2 bubbles slowly rise up the ladder getting smaller as they diffuse and once they reach the top they are all but totally dissolved. Only runs about $10 or so.

Loyal
i second this one

30 gallon pita...102watts..pressurized co2 ...jbj regulator...eco-complete substrate...xp-2... inline c-02 reactor...turbo twist uv

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode