Now We are Cooking with Gas! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Now We are Cooking with Gas!

I finally got my co2 bottle filled up for my 46g bowfront. I have a Aqua Medic Reactor. How long does it take for it to start lowering the ph? I have it set for about 3bps...I just tested it and its at 7.0ish on the ph scale...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Congradulations! If You are testing with test kits--then just wait until tomorrow. If You have a pH meter--then You should start seeing a drop in a few hrs......

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 02:57 AM

you cooking with CO2 not gas

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by musho3210 View Post
Gee, I forgot: C02 is one of those liquid/solid thingies....

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 03:34 AM

gas solid things, i think you were rhetorical, just when he said gas i thought he meant propane or something.

Anyway carry on.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Congradulations! If You are testing with test kits--then just wait until tomorrow.
I wouldn't leave 3bps running all night after just setting up a regulator. Start it back at that or less tommorow and see what you have after 4hrs or so. Get a drop checker, it's much easier than the pH testing.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musho3210 View Post
It was a not so funny joke I guess...

Anyway, I had bought an aqua medic regulator, and reactor, and bubble counter, and solenoid about 5 years ago. I had forgotten about the solenoid when I first hooked it up and posted. Then I was reading some on the forums and remembered the solenoid. So I have that hooked up now as well. I have the gas shutting off when lights shut off so I wont be over doing on CO2...I have 1 molly in the tank right now, and seems to not be effected by the co2 at the moment.

Unfortunately, I only have test kits to confirm the ph changes...so I guess I will have to wait till tomorrow to check it again to see what its doing.

I have a maxi-jet 1000 running the aqua medic 1000 reactor. It pushes at most 291 gph, which its several years old, and I doubt Im getting that much. It has added some more flow to the tank. and I will have to work on an exit outlet for it. Right now I just have the hose stuck in the tank. I plan on making a spray bar for it...but thats later on..

Just for fyi, I have a Tek T5, which is the 4 bulb model at 39w per bulb. This gives me about 3.3 wpg, also have some Amazonia AS & PS, so let the Weeds start to grow!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 03:51 AM

yay a T5er,

and yeah i can admit it was a bad joke lol.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

MemphisBob maybe be right. You didn't say whether You had any life other than plants in the tank. If its plant-only then it really doesn't matter. If there are fish, etc then You can create a little more surface turbulance and everything should be fine.....

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
MemphisBob maybe be right. You didn't say whether You had any life other than plants in the tank. If its plant-only then it really doesn't matter. If there are fish, etc then You can create a little more surface turbulance and everything should be fine.....
Currently the soul owner of the tank is a molly...I wanted to get the CO2 going, so I wouldnt have any ph swings while getting the co2 figured out and killing the fish.

Im thinking of adding a school of cardinals or neons...and then maybe a pair of angels as show fish or possibly(dare I say it?) a pair of discus...but Im still reading up on it...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:23 AM

angels and neons = possibly a bad mix, you can try it though.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

From what I have read it really just depends on the fish..Im gonna try and get babies, and feed them really well and hope that as they age they will leave the neons/cardinals alone..
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMariner View Post
Currently the soul owner of the tank is a molly...I wanted to get the CO2 going, so I wouldnt have any ph swings while getting the co2 figured out and killing the fish.

Im thinking of adding a school of cardinals or neons...and then maybe a pair of angels as show fish or possibly(dare I say it?) a pair of discus...but Im still reading up on it...
With DIY C02 You really cannot regulate the output. Yes, you can regulate it by how efficiently it gets dissolved, etc, but its easier to manipulate the surface turbulation--there's a sweet spot that will hold most C02 and still maintain enough 02--day and night.

Whether or not you run the C02 through tonight or start it up again in the morning is really up to You. If you have no surface movement then Your Molly probably won't be happy, but otherwise--with just the one fish, I would think everything should be ok.....

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMariner View Post
From what I have read it really just depends on the fish..Im gonna try and get babies, and feed them really well and hope that as they age they will leave the neons/cardinals alone..
Plenty of people keep cardinals/neons w/ angels and/or discus. Just keep researching and You'll sort out the particulars involved....

Sorry, I don't keep any of those fish--together or otherwise, so I cannot offer any real help.....

HTH

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
With DIY C02 You really cannot regulate the output. Yes, you can regulate it by how efficiently it gets dissolved, etc, but its easier to manipulate the surface turbulation--there's a sweet spot that will hold most C02 and still maintain enough 02--day and night.

Whether or not you run the C02 through tonight or start it up again in the morning is really up to You. If you have no surface movement then Your Molly probably won't be happy, but otherwise--with just the one fish, I would think everything should be ok.....
Thanks for the info...however this is a pressurized co2 setup...I got rid of diy co2 a long time ago...just to messy...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode