Introducing oxygen without reducing c02? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Recently set up a 46 gallon tank.
Moderate to heavy planting, varied types of plants.
120 watts of lifeglo flourescent light.

12 cardinal tetras.

About half of the water in the tank is from an established tank.
The biological filter is well established.. again taken from another tank. It is set up so as not to disturb the surface water of the tank, to prevent co2 loss.

The plants will take some time to get acclimated, and start producing oxygen. Of course they will need co2 to do this, and I have 2 diy yeast co2 injectors going.

Unfortunately, the fish appear to have used up all of the oxygen in the tank... they started hanging out near the top, and I immediately introduced aeration, and in a short time all was well again.

Of course this means that any co2 I am introducing into the tank is not staying in the tank for long, and the plants will be needing that c02 if they are going to get acclimated and start producing enough oxygen for the fish.

So, if I aerate, the plants die, and if I don't the fish die.

Is there any way to introduce oxygen into the tank without reducing the co2 levels?

Please ingnore my newbishness... this is my first attempt at a planted tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 04:32 AM
Planted Member

I recently added an airstone that runs for 1 hour 2 times a day during the dark cycle.

My PH hasnt dropped much at all.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
What type of filtration are you using. The fish should be getting plenty of O2. Is you fishload very high?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 05:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you have enough plants they should generate more oxygen than an airstone with CO2, in fact it hypersaturates the water with O2.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

There is not a high load of fish... 12 inches in a 46 gallon. Thats gonna change soon.. eventualy there will be 48 inches of fish... if I can get everything balanced right.

Once the plants have acclimated, and start actualy producing oxygen, then this wont be a problem.

But its a catch 22...

If I aerate, then the co2 the 40 or so plants need to use disapears, and the plants dont produce oxygen, because they dont get acclimated, but more likely die...

I will try aerating for just a few hours at night and see if that helps...

As for filtration, I have a cannister filter with intake and exit set near the bottom, to keep the surface of the tank nice and still.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 01:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think it would be better to have a litt more surface agitation, just a little, not much. As long as you have some you can keep o2 in the water while minimizing the co2 loss.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 07:39 PM

If the nutrient levels are good in a tank, including CO2, then your plants shouldn't have any problems photosynthesizing. Plants can take some time to acclimate to a new tank if they were grown emerged....but even then, they'll be more than happen to soak up light, nutrients, and CO2 and produce oxygen right away.

Lack of CO2 doesn't cause plant death...poor growth, but only a few senstiive plants will die off like that.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Interesting stuff..

The cardinals are doing great now.... and theyve been without an airstone for almost 24 hours.
It was just those first 2 days that had me worried.. they were hanging at the top..
Everything seems to be ok now... knock on wood, cross fingers, etc etc
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would say getting the right amount of light is all important for pearling oxygen, when I leave the curtains open the sun hits my one frytank, and the elodea and stuff in there starts to pearl in no time...

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

120 watts of lifeglo for a 46 gallon bowfront... Its all I could fit up there lol.

The fish were up at the top again last night...
It appears I will be forced to provide water movement on the surface to aerate, and that I will be losing co2...

Wich brings me back to my original question..
is there any way to introduce oxygen to a tank without losing co2?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 04:35 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Don't be so concerned about the CO2 loss right now. Once the plants are more established you shouldn't have anymore O2 problems. Until then, do as George suggests and increase surface agitation.

Plants are the best way to increase O2 without reducing CO2 :mrgreen:

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Thats the plan I guess..
I hope the plants take hold soon...
I know there is enough nutrients because algae has already begun to grow...
I *think* there is enough light.. 2.6 watts per gallon of the proper spectrum for plants...
But none of the plants have shown any signs of growth, pearling, or anything else positive

Of course it hasnt even been a full week yet, so hopefully they will get started soon.

Call me a worry wart I guess...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 06:50 AM

are you monitoring your ph levels to make sure you aren't adding too MUCH CO2?
plants don't use CO2 at night, so put your air pump on a timer to aerate the water all night and turn off an hour before the lights come on.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 10:31 AM

if you can get some tie some ricia down (i use a hair net to hold it on stones) this seemes to start pearling really quickly
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Ok Ive got all the water parameters set nicely... nearly all the plants are growing now..
Yes I check PH every day.. only once, early on did I have to add baking soda.
Ive been running extra filters with zeolite and carbon and nitrasorb, and my water is in great shape. No nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, chlorine, chloramine... nothing.

The only possible thing that could be stressing her out is elevated phosphate levels... Ill be getting some resin to remove the phosphate tommorrow.

She does not show any "normal" signs of stress... Brightly colored, well striped, no clamped fins, no gasping... just the constant battle with her reflection.

I really hope once i get the phospates down that she will finaly calm down... shes very beautifull.... not even full grown yet and showing red along the top of her dorsal fin... just a beautifull ram...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode