Starting My Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Starting My Planted Tank

OK I have been reading the forums and shopping around for what I want and I think i am ready.

I wanted to post what I want to get and see if it is all compatiable and good for my little 10 gal tank.

I have a light that says it is for plants and I got a bio wheel penguin 100 filter. I know that it is said not to get the bio wheel but I could not return it and the people at the store said it would work i just need the CO2

So Im going to get some substrate and the CO2 BioSystem.. it is 36$ at my local store.

We have a Beautiful betta fish that we love currently in a 5 gal tank.

So I am going to get these plants, if I can find them
Glosso, Red Rotala, Eusteralis and Vallisneria.

So #1 will all the work together?
#2 Will the Betta be ok with that?
#3 Do i need a heater? (I live in Fla so it is never cold)
#4 Are there any other little fish I can put in there that would go with all that?(I want like a few of the same..like a little school)
#5 Should I cycle the tank with the plants and the fish or wait to add the fish?
#6 is there anything else that I need to know?

THANKS SO MUCH! I really have no idea what I am doing but I really want to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Heya,
Quote:
So I am going to get these plants, if I can find them
Glosso, Red Rotala, Eusteralis and Vallisneria.
How many watts is the lighting you have? I Havn't used any of the non-pressurized / DIY CO2 options, but I know that Glosso is pretty demanding, and you would probably need a decent light and co2 set-up to get it to grow well.

Also, most vals get pretty tall (they can easily get over 20''), so I'm not sure how they will do in a 10gallon.. I think they should be fine- you will probably just needed to trim them back every few days or so. Another grassy plant that looks nice and grows really fast is sagittaria. Some of those will only get to be a few inches high, and can look very nice.
Quote:
Certainly. Just watch your pH and make sure it doesn't get pushed to low in case the co2 system you are using affects that.
Quote:
How much does the temperature vary from day to night? Bettas are pretty hardy and can get along in colder water even from what I've read, but depending on how much the temperature fluctuates, it might not be bad to add a small heater.

Quote:
#4 Are there any other little fish I can put in there that would go with all that?(I want like a few of the same..like a little school)
I haven't had any Bettas before myself (only a paradise fish), but I know they are very aggressive. He would almost certainly go after most any other fish you added in. You may be able to add another female beta, but you will have to check with other people on the forum to see how aggressive they are with the females.

Quote:
#5 Should I cycle the tank with the plants and the fish or wait to add the fish?
I would cycle for a bit with just the plants. What you could do is add something like a plant or some substrate from the tank your beta is in now: that will help seed the bacteria needed for cycling and speed things up some.
Quote:
Hmm. nothing I can think of off-hand. If this is your first time with planted tanks goodluck! It will be a lot of fun for sure. Couple general tips I would add would be be careful not to get too much light- don't have the tank anywhere where it will get sunlight, and don't leave the lights on during the day more than 11 or so hours. Flourish excel is a really nice supplement for tanks without co2 as well.

Welcome to the forum, and goodluck!
Keep us posted on how things go.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
What kind of light do u have? How many watts is it? Your bio-wheel filter should be fine and if the biowheel causes too much surface agitation you can remove it. What substrate are you planning on getting ? Also if that co2 bio system is this then you shouldn't get it since you can setup a cheap diy co2 system https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...e-diy-co2.html . Are you planning on moving the betta to the 10 gallon? Bettas like warm water 75 -80 so as long as the temps in your house are around that it will be fine. as for adding other small fish it depends on your betta since some of them can't stay with other fish but some get along without an issue. You can cycle your tank with plants and let them grow a bit as long as your give them ferts otherwise they will die. There isn't much more for you to know but if you have any more questions just ask.

- Fishlover
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My Tanks :

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
He should be fine
Like said before, depends on how much the temp fluctuates from night to day.
Smaller tetras, Rasboras, Livebearers(except guppies), corydoras, Otto's, most anything except gourami's and other male bettas(sometimes you can pull off female bettas with males but not in a 10g!).
I would add alot of fast growing undemanding plants liek Hygro and anacharis and cycle with fish. Watch the parameters.
Well looking at your plant selection it depends on how much lighting you have on the tank. Remember that the wpg rule breaks down in smaller tanks like yours. If you have the normal strip light you are in low light so I suggest Mosses, Ferns, Hygro sp., crypt sp., Anacharis, etc. Forget the store bought CO2 system. Make one your self. Follow the link that Fish Lover had provided. With low light you dont really even need CO2 or Fertilizers. Just make sure you stock with undemanding plants, like the ones I listed. Medium light tanks is where CO2 is needed(from about 2.5-3 wpg), also ferts are needed. And from there up you can guess, its needed. When first setting up DIY CO2, watch your fish. If they are gasping at the surface for air than I will take out the CO2. Then run an air stone. With a bio wheel and DIY CO2 you wont need to worry since all your CO2 is gone before it gets into the water column!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The light is a 15W. is that good for what I want to do?

Oh I forgot to metion my favorite plant that I wanted in the tank a Hemianthus micranthemoides.

Thanks for all the info. I was going to get that CO2 that you linked. I guess it is not any good? I am not really good at DIY things but I could give it a try since I have a little budget.

Ill start off with the plants suggested and see how it goes. I cant wait to set up my little tank.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
With 15 watts on a 10 I wont think you have enough lighting for those plants you wanted. I would stick with alot of low maintnence and low light plants. Or you can hold off on planting and upgrade your light.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by James From Cali View Post
With 15 watts on a 10 I wont think you have enough lighting for those plants you wanted. I would stick with alot of low maintnence and low light plants. Or you can hold off on planting and upgrade your light.
Well I may just do the other plants because I most likley will not get the plants that I want locally. But if I did, what light should I get?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You can get the AHSupply kit. I suggest search around the forums for more help on that though. Im not too experienced on the best lighting. Sorry.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
With CO2, I'd get the 1x36w AHSupply (www.ahsupply.com) kit.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
As far as the heater I would say use one just to keep a constant temperature. So get a good heater, not one of the cheapos. Something along the lines of a Jager or Rena Top Cal. I personally am a fan of the Ebo Jagers as that is what i have used in my previous aquariums before getting back into it and they were always solid heaters and kept the tank constant and I never had any problems with them. But then again I guess a heater is more than essential where I live (Minnesota). But I personally would get one and it would be pretty in-expensive as you only need a 40-50W heater (4-5 watts/gal)

here is a Ebo-Jager heater that I speak of available from Big Al's
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...erheater50watt
and also from the Dr's
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
If your house stays between 70-80 year round I wouldn't worry bout a heater.
What filter if any is in the 5 gallon now?
If one is in the 5 just switch the old one into the 10 along with the bio wheel.If you dont have one do as the rest say and add a lot of fast growing stems,wait a week and throw in the betta.
Betta's are much hardier than most,You could throw him in right away and stay on top of parameters, change water everyday if needed etc...

Is the new filter in use yet? if not SELL IT get a small canister filter http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...2&N=2004+22777
I bought a pennplax cascade internal that comes with a sraybar that I love...
http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/cainfiwispba.html

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

a lot of great info. SO if I go with the plants that do not need a lot of light should I still get the substrate? How do you clean substrate since it is like dirt right?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Whether or not plants need nutritious substrate is not based on need for light. The substrates that are most useful for planted tanks are generally not exactly like dirt you find outside in that they are usually in chunks. When you mix water with dirt, you just get mud. With packaged substrate, you usually just want to rinse off the fine particles that create cloudiness, but it's not a huge deal. It will settle in a couple days. 15W is definitely not enough for H.M. in your tank, just give in and get a bigger one (I did )

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode