The urge to go bigger.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
The urge to go bigger....

I started this hobby from keeping a fish in a stone pot, then in a vase, then a 9" nano. Now I have an ADA 30-c (stil dry), and yesterday while staring at the empty tank, I had this terrible thought that it's awfully small...and got the sudden desire to get the 60-P...went to the ADG site, saw they have a complete set, stand, tank, lights, etc for 1,300.00.

Luckily I came to my senses..for now. Anyway, just wonder if this hunger for larger tank bites everyone here.

Cheers and happy friday!
Hendra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
no only for bigger...but for more. MTS baby...its a curse unto us all.

Good luck with that new 60p. Because you know in a week you'll convince yourself that you have the "perfect spot" for it in your house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 05:10 PM

I'm in the same boat, I have 26g bow front and got a 5.5 hex nano for the tetras and betta. Torn between getting a 55g + or plucking down for a nice Co2 system and better ligting. I will prolly end up going with the Co2, I just need to stop buying fish.......I just bought 6 blue rams, the other day for only $5 each, 4 were "long fin" and 2 were shortie ballon rams. The store called them Hi fins. My tank is getting a lil overstocked.......but lacking in the plant area cuz lo tech.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
i went from a 5 gallon -> 10 gallon -> 55 gallon -> 75 gallon.

i've been keeping fish for about 3 years now i think.
the only things thats keeping me from going bigger is that i rent an apartment. but once i own a home.............. the next ones going to be HUGE.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 06:45 PM

PTrader: (6/100%)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSo View Post
the only things thats keeping me from going bigger is that i rent an apartment. but once i own a home.............. the next ones going to be HUGE.
I understand this one... I sold my house when we moved here and setup in an apartment while we look here. One of my requirements is that it have an area that can be converted into a fish room, preferrably with walls next to living room so that I can go in-wall from there.

I was sooo tempted to buiild one in my last house, but I knew it was temporary.

And yes, looking for bigger/better setups is normal in this hobby.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

I joked briefly to my wife to get rid of the upright piano we kept as decoration and get a 6' tank in its place, I think she almost killed me with her eyes.

After I have success with the 30c cube and get more experience with the various aspects of this hobby, I will definitely go bigger. Seeing the ADA gallery is just amazing...

But space is a precious commodity in my small home, got to be happy with the nano for now.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
For me the urge to go bigger is limited financially.
somewhere above the 30-55gal range, you really
need to invest in compressed Co2 and lighting, then
filters and gravel adds up to more, so your costs
jump another $1,000. That's kept me in 30g tanks
while I aquascape the 180g tank in my dreams

also, and I know this is going to sound weird, but;
I don't like the idea of having a piece of furniture
(tank) in my house, that I can't move on my own.
could be I have a Gypsy ancestor...

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hrm, first tank was a 60, got rid of that, then got a 40, then a 20. Just ordered an ADA 30c. I guess I'm doing it wrong. :P

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:45 PM

I saw a picture in the gallery where a guy had 4 small tanks, 6g-10g on a bookshelf, that looks cool, rather then one large tank. I think the multiple small tanks are cheaper to start up. And can have difference themes or scaps.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Banned

PTrader: (21/100%)
haha, it just bit me, I'm upgrading from a 29g to an ADA 75cm... my budget jumped up a good 3 hundred bones, wadduyah know... no particular reason either, its just the nature of the hobby that drives and pushes you to spend more and more money. in my case, my knowledge is my own worst enemy... for every new thing I learn, the total goes up about $100... haha, oh well, it'll be well worth the [email protected]$h
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 12:21 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have just one tank (a 75 in my room in an apartment!) and am scheming on where I can fit in at least a quarantine tank.

I do want some smaller tanks just for shrimp or to keep different plants or a place to breed.

Still I cant help but think about a 90 because it's the same footprint and I just drool over the even larger tanks...
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
5 gal -> 10 gal -> 2x10 gal -> 2x10 gal and 55 gallon.

I'm going to get scrap the 2 10 gals for a 20L and set up a nano cube.

IT NEVER ENDS

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think I started tanks when I was about 11.
I had a 10 gallon hexagon kit for Christmas. Now, I am 14, I have started my 75 gallon.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I started with a 55 hex, then got a 30g, then a 38g, then 2x10g, then a ocean free 1g, then a 2.5g, then a 5g.

The thing with me is not until recentley in the 5g I have began to see what my tastes are in plants and tank size. To be honest my favorite tank is the 5g. I feel I can hone my skills and maintain this tank most effectivley and efficentley. When the $$$ comes my way Im going to get a 33g that is 24"x18"x18" with a 3x24w t5ho and pressurized co2. I think I would like to go back to the basics with my 5g and move up from there again.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Madfish Send a message via Yahoo to Madfish
I started with a goldfish bowl then to a 10gal, 20gal, 29gal, 55gal, 60gal, 90gal, 120gal that I have now. But my eyes have been looking at the 210gal tank just sitting there in the store saying to me take me home.... Give me about a year and Im willing to bet that one will be sitting in my house.

Whats this green fuzzy stuff thats growing in my tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode