PAYPAL account advice/experience - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
jrs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
PAYPAL account advice/experience

I have thought about setting up a PAYPAL account for selling plants here in Canada for quite some time but I have some concerns about doing it.

I am currently just selling locally and I try to provide people with many more plants than what I list to insure they are happy with the deal.

Problem is the logistics of shipping. I know how to ship plants effectively but how do you keep the costs down when shipping larger quantites?

What exactly is the process of setting up a PAYPAL account and what are some of the problems that can be encountered?

Any other advice????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I havent had any problems setup for it is quite secure they verify your bank and the call to make sure its your number. They also do some deposit thing then you call them and well its very secure. My only critisim is it takes like a week to deposit money into it from canada. I believe PayPal has some discounted rates if you ship through them or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happy fishing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 04:46 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I have not had a single issue with my paypal account and I have been using it for well over 3 yrs. You can even print shipping labels from inside paypal.com which is highly recommneded as it verifies that it is being shipped

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 05:54 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I've had hackers try to break into my account & use my account. PayPal was good enough to tell me so. Nothing came of it though. I'm still iffy about giving paypal my bank's info... It's safe to go through the credit card route for buying stuff.

I think it's recommended that every few years you should close your account and start a new one. Or change your password at least.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I've had my paypal account for probably 3-4 yrs now and have had zero issues. My only issue is the fees, which are a set $0.35/sale + a percentage of the remaining. A $20 sale will ding you for $0.85 - $1 in fees roughly. They have a free account, but it doesn't accept credit cards.
I like how it tells you when something *actually* goes through. I've never used the label & shipping services though.
Just beware of the scammers out there. I've received many emails from what looks to be Paypal.com, but it's not. Don't give your password out and you should be ok.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
The only thing to beware are swishers, who send things that look like they are from Paypal, but are just a scam. But that happens on Banking accounts too. I've not had any problems, though the fees seem a little high.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 03:07 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
get a www.shopify.com account they are relly good for selling plants online
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
I think you mean "phishers" Betowess (unless there's a new slang term I've not run across yet.) I haven't gotten any of those in a loooooooong time (knock on wood,) and they're usually such pitiful attempts that I raise an eyebrow, shake my head, delete them and move along. Although I have gotten one or two that took some extra digging to verify that it was a phishing attempt.

I've been a member of Paypal since before it was owned by eBay (whenever that was.) Never had any problems (although like anything, there's always going to be somebody with a legitimate horror story.) I find it very convenient and so far very secure, or at least as secure as any online banking can be.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Had a paypal account since 98. No problems.
If you stick to the basic account you don't get charged fees for accepting most payments. Once you upgrade to the premier account you get 1.5-3% charges for each transaction.
down side to keeping just a personal account is you cnat get the paypal debit card so you have to wait to access your money by transferring it back to your bank account.

If you are aware of potential scams and protect yourself you shouldn't have issues with paypal.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode