Green water?????? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Green water??????

I've noticed that the water got a tint of green to it the past two water changes and got a lil darker this past week. Not sure what is it, or how to go about it. My 5.5G nano is super clear though.

Tank is 26g, with 1x 15watt run on ONDO. Lite about 12-13 hours a day. Is it too much time with the lights on? Few plants in there, I had transfered some to the nano since I'm going to order some more plants online.

Any critters I can get to help solve the green tint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Yes, too long of a photoperiod. Average should be 8 hours.

You have green water. You have a few options.
1) UV sterilizer.
2) Diatom filter.
3) 3-5 day blackout.

The cheapest is the 3-5 day blackout since...it's free.
Faster methods would be a UV sterilizer or diatom filter. People use williow branches or some other branch, I forget...but go with the UV or diatom filter. I used a diatom filter myself and it cleared the GW in a few hours.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 04:57 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
I agree with the above.

Something I've noticed with my tanks (and it may be just my tanks) is that if I go too long between dosing, the water starts to get a little hazy. If I add ferts, it frequently clears back up. (Please note I said frequently not always--if it's been triggered by something else, adding ferts doesn't help).

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Should I do another water change before the blackout? I did one last night. Then do i do another after the black out phase?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you did one last night, you should be fine. Oh, feed your fish too. I didn't feed mine during the blackout because I didn't want to expose the tank to any light. Do a WC after.

Now get black garbage bags or towels, blankets...whatever works and tape up your tank for at least 3 days. No peeking! This method worked to a degree for me, but I had it taped up for 5 days.

I ended up getting a used Magnum 350 with micron cartridge. Works like a champ.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

yah I wish I had the extra 70 bucks for that filter, but I'll try this first.

I'm looking to upgrade my lighting system to put me in the 2+wpg range, will the green water be more of a problem then too? I think my 15watt on ONDO is like 30 watts I guess, not sure on the calculations. But the green water started AFTER I converted it to ONDO. The water was crystal clear before that with the same amount on light time. Frustrating be new to the game.....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I got mine used for $27 shipped. Some places will let you rent their diatom filters...usually a Vortex diatom filter. Aquatic Warehouse in SD might since they're pretty big.

Yes, it's most likely because you ODNO'd your lighting....especially with the super long photoperiod. Keep it at 8 hours from now on.

If you start dosing fertilizers, have injected CO2 (either pressurized or DIY), and have a large plant mass when you start, you won't run into green water problems...it's tanks without many plants or tanks with unbalanced lighting/fertilization/CO2 that run into algae issues. Or sometimes it's just bad luck that you get algae.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

I'm using KENT and Florish liquid ferts if that counts. The plants are growing OK. When I first got the tank and didn't do any HW, I bought those petco plant tubes, got 2 "almazon sword", the small pack though so onl 4-5" high. Each tube had like 5-6 leafs per plant, now each plant has over a dozen and the outside are browning but more are growing near the center. I'm assuming that is how they grow.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 06:00 PM

i'm doing a blackout right now. tomorrow is the fourth day blackout. i will let you know if its effective. i'm in the same boat with you, i can't afford a uv or diatom filter, so the blackout method is the cheapest way.

feed the fishes first, then after 1 or 2 hours, do a large water change around 50%. I used my blanket to cover the tank. it's been cold every night, since i dont have my blanket. also use something to cover the top so no light will reach the tank. most people recommend 5 days, but i heard some plant my not survive. so i'm going for 4 days blackout. this just for temporary, if your tank is not balance then i'm pretty sure GW will come back. so know the cause of it. my tank turn GW because one of the fishes got suck up in the filter, which cause ammonia spike.

good luck
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna have to check for some dead fishes then, I have 2 black neons and 1 guppy MIA. I had just assumed my Knight Goby had a snack or two.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 11:34 PM

jsigone,
yup, the blackout does work. i open up the tank today and it was crystal clear. I did a 50% WC and plug in the co2 and light right away. i'm so happy no plant or fish dying, so its a good thing. just hope that it won't come back.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

I just bought a bunch of blue rams (found a great deal on them), I changed out the filter since I noticed it was green stuff hanging from it....prolly the cause of the greenish tint. It cleared up that night, but now the tint is back. So it wasn't just the filter needed cleaning. Now that I know the rams are good with the tank, I'll start my black out this weekend.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode