Aquascaping, equipment and hardscape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Aquascaping, equipment and hardscape

I'm having a hard time finding those little suction cups people use to create substrate dividers, the ones I used in my 10 gal were ones I stole from a former roommate for ducking out on last month's utilities (if he doesn't pay I'll break all his fingers...just kidding..but I will). Where do you buy these things? Seems like they would have them at a dollar store, or target, or meijer, or home depot, but I haven't found them at any of those places. Am I just looking at the wrong areas? Also, are acrylic sheets ok to use in an aquarium (nonreactive)? I'm talking about the kind you would find at an office supply store, like coversheets or overhead projector sheets. I've already used them, but I'd like to double check to be safe.

Would DIY CO2 with a Hagen ladder be alright for a 55 gallon tank with a biowheel? I know that I will lose a lot of CO2 with the biowheel, but it's all I have now. I will run 2 bottles at a time to get more gas, but my main question is whether the Hagen ladder is a good choice, or if I should look into other ways of diffusing it. (I'm on a budget.)

And finally, where are some good sites to buy driftwood from (again, budget. sorry!)? I like how manzanita and mopani looks, and I can get malaysian driftwood pretty easily.

Thanks!

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
suction cups that most LPS have or can easily get for you;
http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...p-10-pack.html

remove the biowheel completely from your filter if you are diffusing Co2.

best to use the PTF search function for your driftwood by wood type inquiry.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
Also, are acrylic sheets ok to use in an aquarium (nonreactive)? I'm talking about the kind you would find at an office supply store, like coversheets or overhead projector sheets. I've already used them, but I'd like to double check to be safe.
Not sure on this...I'd say it's pretty safe.

Quote:
Would DIY CO2 with a Hagen ladder be alright for a 55 gallon tank with a biowheel? I know that I will lose a lot of CO2 with the biowheel, but it's all I have now. I will run 2 bottles at a time to get more gas, but my main question is whether the Hagen ladder is a good choice, or if I should look into other ways of diffusing it. (I'm on a budget.)
Remove the Biowheel like spypet said. Even with 100% dissolution, DIY CO2 won't be enough to run the 4x55w lighting schedule you want. You're gonna get algae. Start saving up for pressurized or run 4 bottles at once...you're planning on running some serious lighting...4 WPG at the peak!

Quote:
And finally, where are some good sites to buy driftwood from (again, budget. sorry!)? I like how manzanita and mopani looks, and I can get malaysian driftwood pretty easily.
Manzanita? www.manzanita.com
As for driftwood, I'd check eBay. There's a big seller of driftwood there. I forget what the seller's name is, but if you type in 'aquarium driftwood', you'll get a good number of matches.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I found a lot of threads about what not to use (soft woods), but not really where I could buy what I could use.

Damn, wish I hadn't spent money on those biowheels now...
Do you think I could store them intact so that when I upgrade to a better filter I could sell the unit all together? I've already used them.

Ah yes, I probably should have checked pet stores, but that never occured to me

Thanks!

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm probably not going to have that 4 x 55W, probably more like 2 x 55W + these two sorry looking All-Glass fixtures I got with the tank (2 x 19W)

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, you can store the Bio-wheels to sell them later. Or sell them now and get a canister.

With a HOB, you'll probably outgas half the CO2 you put in via your DIY CO2.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
because biowheel and hanging filters in general are less useful than canister filters to planted tank keepers, you will notice that biowheel based filters have much lower used resale value on ebaY than do canister filters. you can still use the filter forever, simply remove that gimmicky wheel.

when you use the PTF search function, try to restrict the wood type keyword you want to just the Title of the thread. you will find a lot more useful information that way.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm looking for sandblasted Manzanita right? Can you put in requests for things like "extra branchy" or something like that? Man, I need to stop spending money on my other hobby (cooking)

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Doesn't matter. I like the look of sandblaster better than non. Some people are opposite. Doesn't matter either way.

Rich @ Manzanita is great. You can find pictures of what you want or even draw them in MSPaint and send them over to him. He'll do his best to find what you're looking for. Check out this thread and follow the links in that thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ot...anita-com.html

Oh, and what style do you cook? I'm an avid chef (can I call myself that? I dunno) myself.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Anything really. Polenta, filet and goronzola, tuna tartare, scallops and red pepper sauce, cedar plank salmon, beer can chicken, baklava, corn dogs, you name it I'll probably try to make it. New experiment: Crushed Wasabi Pea breading on chicken

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
Another driftwood source I have been really pleased with is Old River Rat Driftwood They have pictures of everything they sell!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode