Trying to figure out my moss tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (6/100%)
Trying to figure out my moss tank

I started my first planted tank back in March. It's a 5.5 gal. tank, with a 15 watt strip light, and a whisper mini filter. Ever since I set it up I've had nothing but algae issues. I've tied everything I can think of to grow moss, but eveytime it ends up coverd in algae. Oh yeah, I only have one fish a danio, and flourite for a substrate.

The thing that realy gets to me is, I have some moss growing on a window sill in a bowl thats doing better then my aquarium. This moss is pearling in the bowl. It's growing on a southern window sill that gets shaded light because I have a over hang on my house. I add water to the bowl every couple of weeks and ignore it.

I've been trying to recreate the conditions of the bowl in my aquarium but with a strip light instead of indirect sunlight. When I examine the bowl it looks to be getting less light then my aquarium. So I've been tampering with the amount of light I'm giving the aquarium.

I've cut out water changes on the aquarium and lessend the light by blocking most of it with 2 cd cases. Over the past week some of the algae has died off, and the moss is showing some new growth, but alot of algae still remains.

Anyone have some sujestions?

I'm on a strict buget and can't afford anymore equipment so I have to make due with what I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Update new discovery:

After months of experamenting, and racking my brain, I was doing some reading about floss in the filter. It seems I over looked something. I pulled out my filter cartrage and it was black and nasty. I took it out and put more bio rings in it's place.

Could it be that the floss is the root of my algae problem leading to phosphates?

I was told by my pet shop that I have alot of phosphates in my tap water but it shouldnt be a problem.

Also my filter doesnt have alot of flow. Should I get a small power head to help the water circulate more?

I know I should have a test kit but I cant afford one so I'm trying to use my 10 years of aquarium experience without one.

I also changed the substate to a thin layer of small pebbles and did a 100% water change. I took the moss out and put it in a bucket of clean tap water. I noticed the algae will clear up on the moss in a bucket after a couple of days.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 06:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
The cartridges on power filters should be replaced every month or two, if you haven't been doing that, that probably contributed.

You didn't say but I'm guessing that you don't fertilize the moss. The moss growing in the bowl at reduced light is probably getting it's nutrient needs met from what's available in the water, since it's needs are low. The moss in your aquarium, is unable to meet its needs sufficiently because it has higher demands with the increased light and maybe something critical isn't available to it. Algae doesn't have any problem carving out its niche and utilizing what's available.

That's my guess, FWIW.

What's worked for me in dealing with algae, is to focus on meeting the needs of the plant first. Somehow, by doing that, the algae issue usually resolves itself.

Kathy

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDahlin View Post
The cartridges on power filters should be replaced every month or two, if you haven't been doing that, that probably contributed.

You didn't say but I'm guessing that you don't fertilize the moss. The moss growing in the bowl at reduced light is probably getting it's nutrient needs met from what's available in the water, since it's needs are low. The moss in your aquarium, is unable to meet its needs sufficiently because it has higher demands with the increased light and maybe something critical isn't available to it. Algae doesn't have any problem carving out its niche and utilizing what's available.

That's my guess, FWIW.

What's worked for me in dealing with algae, is to focus on meeting the needs of the plant first. Somehow, by doing that, the algae issue usually resolves itself.
Hey thx for the Reply, I'm thinking either too much light or not enough in the aquarium. But thats what I cant figure out. It seems to me the moss on the window sill is getting more light even though it doesnt look like it. I'm thinking about moving my aquarium and putting it in the same window with no stip light. But I'm worried if I do it I will get algae in the tank. Thier is none in the bowl though.

Would it be a safe assumtion that since thiers no algae in the bowl that my aquarium will be ok?

I'm think about it as a experament.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode